Electric issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K7TKA

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Murphy's Law must be at work here. I changed the handlebars on my bike which required a few modifications. The new bars don't have holes in them to run the wiring through so I used a dremel to make a path out of the switch housing to run the wires outside the bar. After a few little issues everything went together fine. When I tried to start the bike it wouldn't turn over. I figured something was wrong at the start switch. If I hold the clutch in the starter turn fine. There still isn't any spark. I tried bypassing the kill switch but that resulted in the starter not turning even with the clutch disengaged. I'm not a wiring expert but I do know how to follow color codes and they area correct. I'm a bit stumped at the moment. Any ideas?

Tim

:swoon: oh I wish I left the bars alone :doh:

sheesh what hard thing to do and then come out bad .. only thing you can do is start following black wire from switch to the switches and find out where its not going through

May i suggest starting at the coils since you mentioned you have no spark.
There should be a black/white lead that splits near the coil. Both coils receive power from this lead.
If your test light or volt meter indicates no power there, then move back up the "garden hose" and check that lead as it exits the kill switch.

If you still have no voltage on the black/white lead right at the kill switch, test for voltage at the black/brown lead going into the switch.
According to the diagram i have, that provides voltage to the switch.

Let me know what you find after testing these.

Problem Solved

After consulting the Honda service manual to get the correct color codes I bypassed the kill switch and everything works again. I think Honda had this in mind when they designed the harness. One of the wires has male/female connectors reversed so you can plug the black/white and the black/brown together to cut the switch out of the circuit. The part that threw me was the cranking with the clutch disengaged. Anyway thanks for the help and it handles much better with the correct bars in place.

Tim

Attachments

• After 7.jpg
    After 7.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 103
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95348#p95348:2sf0elfa said:
K7TKA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:32 am[/url]":2sf0elfa]
Problem Solved

After consulting the Honda service manual to get the correct color codes I bypassed the kill switch and everything works again. I think Honda had this in mind when they designed the harness. One of the wires has male/female connectors reversed so you can plug the black/white and the black/brown together to cut the switch out of the circuit. The part that threw me was the cranking with the clutch disengaged. Anyway thanks for the help and it handles much better with the correct bars in place.

Tim
file.php

But now you can't shut off your bike with the kill switch. Did you take it apart to find out what happened?
Usually it's a simple fix.

Latest posts