Engine is froze

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sir is an excellent price. Most prefer to use oem head gaskets because of reported failures of aftermarket. I've not heard of vesrah gaskets failing though.

Steve83":nytq8jet said:
That is a good price for good gaskets. However, you should make sure you can save the engine before spending any money on parts for it.
Agreed.

I'd even go so far as to make paper head gaskets so I could check the compression.

that motor is a good gamble the pistons are sunk rather far and pitting dosent even come into play till haft the stroke is done ...to me thats all good to see and makes it better gamble

I finally got back to working on it for a bit. The cylinders look like they are going to clean up fine.
156572_559717584051421_1492549186_n.jpg

536541_559717594051420_1182801693_n.jpg

dan filipi":3ter750z said:
Odd to have pitting on the top :headscratch:
I don't know what to make of that.

The bike was left laying on it's side :headscratch: kinda...not all the way over, but yeah..it is kinda odd now that you mention it.

dan filipi":1fyumr5u said:
I'd even go so far as to make paper head gaskets so I could check the compression.

Dan, when you say paper head gaskets..just plain paper? Would something like printer paper work? Or something thicker?

sturglc":3gvqo3o3 said:
dan filipi":3gvqo3o3 said:

Dan, when you say paper head gaskets..just plain paper? Would something like printer paper work? Or something thicker?
No, I meant the paper gasket making material.
Most auto parts sell it in a roll. It is light brown in color, about 1/16th inch thick.

lol-okay.
I was wondering.
Yeah, that's what I was hoping. I have a few rolls of that stuff.

And here I thought I'd learned a new old school goldwing trick lol

yep i thought it was going to look good ....clean heads ...test them for leaking....put it back together with new gaskets ...and then the only gambles left are lower end and gearing ....looking good

My 83' was also Frozen solid when i got it, very similar to the rust if not worse than yours.

I used Diesel Fuel and ATF combo mixture.

For the Heads, i pulled the valves and wire brushed the valves, and scotch brite with Mixture on the valve seats, and ports.

after I put the heads back together I filled each port with some gas, to see if there where any leaks, they had a good seal.

I also took some of the diesel fuel and ATF mixture, on a Scotch brite and cleaned the cyl. bores, then sprayed it all out with brake cleaner spray, then light coat of ATF for start up lube.

My engine must have been over heating as it had oil in the coolant.

I pulled the thermostat housing on top of the engine per Dan's right up on over heating, the coolant passage up there was clogged solid,

I had to stick a stiff wire in there to get all the crap out, then blew compressed air (with the front trans cover removed) through and there was a lot of crap in there that blew out. It looked like hard packed sand, this guy must have lived at the beach, Not saying you have that problem, but my second time or maybe the third time pulling the carb rack out, got to this over heating issue.

Thank goodness for this site and all the great info, on other sites they say change the T-stat, change the rad cap, but they dont know about the coolant passage blockage.