Engine oil coming from timing belts cover

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey gang:

This afternoon I found a small drop of engine oil just under the timing belts cover. Before anyone suggest to remove the cover, I want to know if one of you had this issue before and what was the cause. Last week I installed back the right valve head, so probably the oil is coming from the right side (Could be a seal in the cam shaft sprocket? :headscratch: )

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

It is possible it's coming from the weep hole in the water pump. The drive side is in oil. Since you just had the head off and it just now started it is most likely the cam shaft seal. It is possible you might be able to turn the seal to put the weak part at the top. That often stops the leak.

Cam Seals Honda part #91209-371-003, Oil Seal (27X43X9)

Napa #ATM 2117994, Altrom
Beck Arnley #052-2755, AutoZone
Beck-Arnley from Rock Auto 052-2755
could be either cam seal or the crank shaft..where is the leak left right or center?

If you haven't changed youir timing belts do that too while yoiu are in there..no more
work and necessary if they are original.

Timing Belts

GL1000 & GL1100
Gates - #5119 or #T274 (2ea.)
NAPA - #250274 (2 ea.)
Goodyear - #40274 (2 ea.)

Since the enterprise still have an oil leak, I decided to remove the timing belts covers. I found the right camshaft seal with oil and seems that need to be replaced. As the majority of you know I removed the right cylinder head last month and installed back, and since that date the bike have the leak.

Before I start with this process, any suggestions or hints? I presume that once I remove the camshaft I'll need to remove the sprocket to install the new seal, right? I'm still looking for some Honda diagram but didn't found something that shows me in a clear way.

RBG thanks for the following: :eek:k:
RBG":1ejf1cwb said:

Thanks for all your help.

Jungo":1dm7f6lq said:
Since the enterprise still have an oil leak, I decided to remove the timing belts covers. I found the right camshaft seal with oil and seems that need to be replaced. As the majority of you know I removed the right cylinder head last month and installed back, and since that date the bike have the leak.

Before I start with this process, any suggestions or hints? I presume that once I remove the camshaft I'll need to remove the sprocket to install the new seal, right? I'm still looking for some Honda diagram but didn't found something that shows me in a clear way.

RBG thanks for the following: :eek:k:
RBG":1dm7f6lq said:

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, and unfortunately the belt needs to be removed to do the work.

The seal will come out pretty easily. If needed, screw a drywall screw into the center softer black part of the seal to pull it out.
Check the camshaft surface should be smooth with no pits where the seal rides and make sure the seal in completely seated.
The aluminum head surface needs to be completely clean. Brake cleaner is good to use here as a cleaner.
I'm the type that likes to use high temperature silicone around the outer edge of the seal before going in, others might disagree.

dan filipi":2df96sc2 said:

The seal will come out pretty easily. If needed, screw a drywall screw into the center softer black part of the seal to pull it out.
Check the camshaft surface should be smooth with no pits where the seal rides and make sure the seal in completely seated.
The aluminum head surface needs to be completely clean. Brake cleaner is good to use here as a cleaner.
I'm the type that likes to use high temperature silicone around the outer edge of the seal before going in, others might disagree.

Thanks for your quick response and for the hints chief. Will need to remove the sprocket in order to replace the seal? :headscratch:

The use of the high temp silicone is to prevent any leaks?

Thx.

Jungo":28ee6evq said:
dan filipi":28ee6evq said:

Thanks for your quick response and for the hints chief. Will need to remove the sprocket in order to replace the seal? :headscratch:

The use of the high temp silicone is to prevent any leaks?

Thx.
Yes and yes.