engine running, but not well

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardfry19

Reaction score
well, after alot of hard work, i got my 1982 aspencade 1100 to start. however, it wont idle and only starts if i constantly pump gas into it from the handle. if i let off the gas and try to let it idle down it dies down. another thing; its blowing alot of white smoke, but it doesnt smell like oil. i think it got rained on cause i found a little water in the bottom of the air bow after a bad storm.

whos got thoughts, cause im pretty green when it comes to diagnosing trivial problems like this.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98070#p98070:1uerl4eq said:
richardfry19 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:10 pm[/url]":1uerl4eq]
well, after alot of hard work, i got my 1982 aspencade 1100 to start. however, it wont idle and only starts if i constantly pump gas into it from the handle. if i let off the gas and try to let it idle down it dies down. another thing; its blowing alot of white smoke, but it doesnt smell like oil. i think it got rained on cause i found a little water in the bottom of the air bow after a bad storm.

whos got thoughts, cause im pretty green when it comes to diagnosing trivial problems like this.

A little background information is needed. Was the bike running properly before it got rained on? Is this a new to you bike? To what are you referring when you say air bow? Does the white smoke smell sweet? Is there antifreeze in the coolant? What work have you done? We cannot see smell or hear your bike so please be as descriptive as you can. Welcome to the forum.

+1 to what The Hulk and others have said. Need more info.

That said, also check your spark quality. Pull each plug, ground it against a good ground and turn the bike over. Is it a snappy blue spark?

The reason I mention this is that that is what is wrong with my GL1100. Poor spark, which results in whitish exhaust full of unburnt fuel. I've purchased a '97 Dodge Neon coil pack to replace the OEM coils, just haven't found time to install them yet. Also, smell your oil and you might drain out a bit to see if it is contaminated by fuel and/or coolant. The coolant will float on top.

i cleaned the carbs, and soaked the gas tank with diesel to degum it, however i sucked almost all of it out. the engine did not run when i got it, it was a little tied up but it didnt take much to get it freed up. its my thinking that i didnt get enough of the diesel out and is the result of the problem on top of a near dead battery. the spark plugs are a little crispy but it came with new plugs in one of the cargo boxes, so ill give that a try when i find a new battery.

Latest posts