Engine stand ideas needed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to mount a '79 gl1000 engine on my HF engine stand so I can flip it over to clean and paint the bottom. Of course the top will be next! I have steel and a welder, just looking for ideas to make the adapter. I copied one for my cb750 motor that worked great, but now I need a pic or a link to one to hold a gl1000 motor.
Thanks in advance

I am not going to be much help. I cleaned my grimy new to us '83 engine right on the moving dolly or on cardboard boxes in the driveway. :hihihi:

image.php

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207706#p207706:uxwa6kb6 said:
kerryb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:55 pm[/url]":uxwa6kb6]
Wow! You do nice work! How many hours do you think that took?
It took about 2 days between scrubbing and degreasing, sanding the surface and then a parts swap for gaskets, seals and paint.

Here is the thread:

viewtopic.php?p=4403#p4403

I laid down carboard and some foam matting, put the motor on the floor, and rolled it around (on the padded floor) for cleaning and painting. I also used a furniture dolly, but a smaller one with two doubled 2x4s screwed to it so that they fit between frame rails. This way, I took the frame off of and on to the motor. Much lighter! Everything stayed strapped to the dolly until the wheels finally went on.

One possible way : Doesn't your HF stand have a rotating plate with adjustable fingers? Adjust the lower fingers so they mate with the 2 bottom mounting holes. Pass long bolts/rods thru the mounting holes to a second plate/framework with fingers on the other side. Upper HF fingers could be adjusted so 2 more long rods/bolts go over the top of the engine and terminate in the second plate. Goldwing engines weigh a lot less ththan 350ci engines, so the stand should be stable with the smaller weight. You could further stabilize this by having the second plate/framework be supported by legs that rest on the HF horizontal legs.

Whatever you devise, please post a picture so I can steal your ideas.

Tom

Now... I've never done it with a GL engine, but I've done it with a few others, but mostly, I did it with large valves for railroad airbrakes...

and I'm certain that if you've done it with your other engines, you'll already know this, but for others who haven't...

Find locations on the main castings that are suitable for supporting the whole unit...

Figure out approximately where the center of gravity of the fully assembled (at least, whatever you'd do in-stand) engine would be...

Cut metal tabs or tubes to support the engine, and bolt them TO the engine, orient the brackets to get to arms that would support the engine WITHOUT obstructing access to parts you'd need to work on...

Cut and tack-weld arms for those tabs... shape/bend/form them to reach to a point where you can weld them to a plate leading to a piece of appropriately-sized pipe that you can slip into the head of your engine stand (remove the universal automotive plate altogether, or adapt your GL engine plate to bolt to the factory piece).

I have several adapters to fit my engine stands... one for lower units for Mercruiser R/MR/Alpha series marine drives... one for Kohler K-singles... I even cobbled one together to hold an R-390A back when I was recovering from neck surgery...

it was a while ago now when I did this. I had the benefit of 4 posts close by to the bike that was being stripped down to the frame. I lowered it into an old blanket and tied a rope to all four corners. it sort of sat in the middle. then I just washed and degreased the side uppermost and then flipped it over. fairly easy . All the crap and water just ran through the blanket. then I just threw it away. The blanket that is.
heath robinson but it worked

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207709#p207709:4qnr88ak said:
PurpleGL1200I » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 pm[/url]":4qnr88ak]
Whatever you devise, please post a picture so I can steal your ideas.

Tom

Sorry, forgot to finish this thread, I got distracted by the cb650 café project. After several great ideas from this group, and a nice design for an engine fixture for my HF stand, I got lazy and did it on a workbench covered in plastic and cardboard. With the engine sitting up on 2x4's I could tilt it over far enough to rest on the valve cover, and just do the bottom one side at a time. Worked ok, got just a little stiff neck scraping, wiping, and sanding the bottom. I'm happy with the paint (duplicolor cast coat aluminum engine paint) maybe next one will warrant an adapter for the stand.

Attachments

• gl tit.jpg
    gl tit.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4022small.jpg
    IMG_4022small.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 81