Exclusively a Wing man again

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
I sold the VFR last night and watched it ride away in the back of a young man's truck. Now that my daughter is in school, it made sense to sell the VFR to get rid of the payment. I guess this means the wing will now be my only tinkering target from here on out. Hopefully that will mean good things and not more broken things.

Andy

Sorry to hear of the loss of your VFR ( I love the 1200) but it is good to free up cash :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131663#p131663:3mvo2pe6 said:
Omega Man » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:09 am[/url]":3mvo2pe6]
Looking forward to seeing you in forums more Andy. :rocks:

~O~
Happy to be back, everybody. The only problem I had with the VFR is that it did not need as much tinkering as the wing does. I have come to the realization that I like to work on/improve my bikes as much as I like to ride them. I am one of those weirdos that likes to take apart carbs and clean them up to make the bike run better.

As noted above, money is tight right now but I am already building a list of things to do once things loosen up a bit.
C5 ignition-just because I want to see how well a wing can run and this deeply satisfies my need to screw around with things.
Considering new disks all way around to see how well a wing can stop
Rebuilding the rear shocks
Something interesting with the exhaust
Rebuilding the starter clutch, cleaning the oil screen, checking clutch plates, considering replacing water pump as it is the original while I have the engine out to install the C5 ignition.
Randakk carb rebuild
Rear brake master rebuild

My "if I win the lottery" list includes adding the Randakk manifolds that allow a dual carb set up because I think that looks bad ass! I would also love to add a set of modern sport bike forks like Bert did over on NGW. The VFR did not have close to the best forks available but they are miles ahead of the wing (note-I think the wing forks are fine for 90% of the riding I do, but every now and then they get a bit wobbly when leaned over in a curve).

Fork brace and new progressive springs make a huge difference. Not the same as late model upside down forks with massive brakes but still a good improvement :yes:

I have the progressive springs already and the 83 comes with a fork brace. I am not totally jonesing for a sport bike fork. Just seems like it would be fun to do.

I am giving her some love today. Cleaning electrical connections, getting some road grime here and there. Just kinda making up to her. I also discovered an exhaust leak where the header meets the head so I guess I will order some new gaskets and replace that next weekend. While I am at it I will check the valves and sync it up next weekend. I have one of those out of sync knocks at low rpm right now.