FIG (found in garage)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toytender01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to look in old boxes that are falling apart :doh: ...Look what i found :heat: the newspaper in the bottom of the box was dated Dec 78. :hihihi: I got these from a friend when I had my 79 wing.... :Egyptian:
wingparts 001.jpg
I put the box in the garage and forgot about it or I would have given it to the person who bought the 79 ...any way I have them and i don't think I need them. NOW the very tehnical question, put on your thinking caps and get out your magnifying glass and see if you can determine what year 1000 they are from. I am pretty sure they are pre 78. Looks like the problrm was either a bad leak of the valve cover gasket or a bad cam seal, the exaust gasket looks good,head gaskets looke good. Don't know why they were pulled.. Anyway have fun. :read: :read: :heat: :party: :thanks:
wingparts 002.jpg
wingparts 004.jpg

Attachments

• wingparts 003.jpg
    wingparts 003.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 235
Put those two heads together tonight and leave them alone and you might have a '78 GL1000 by morning! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

iher are two ways to figure it out toy ....oone is to look at the cam thats out if it has the number 431 on it its a 78-79 if it dosent have a number on it its a 371 cam meaning 75-77 ....there will be LH-RH marking and usealy a letter or two they realy dont mean anuthing on the yr toy ...now matbe you can go with 1000 cams

let us know :mrgreen:

OK the RH cam is the one removed and it is marked 431 so iguess that these parts are for the 78 -79. My first wing was a 79 so that is probably why I had them in the garage. :doh: The 79 was such a good ride that I never had any problem with it.. The guy I sold it to could never keep it running..He was an inlaw who was an outlaw. (an ex cop with a bad drug habbit) He kept staying up all night and taking it appart, :head bang: :head bang: then wanted me to put it back togather again. :heat: :sensored: :sensored: ...I told him @#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!....AND even if i had all the Kings men I would not put Humpty Dunpty back toghther again for HIM... that is one major reason I will never sell to relatives again. So I hace a set of 78/ 79 heads cams and rocker arms with other misc. engine mounting hard ware. I did find one extra part in the box...ever seen or used one of thses before???
DSCF0008.JPG
I was looking for that back in the late 80's...Now I don't need it any more either. :smilie_happy: :party: :whistling: I had probably put it someplace I could find it again :smilie_happy: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :blush:

if you have no use for it toy i could use the stuff especialy the ignition stuff....the 79 cams could be install in your bike and give some more low end power but they look a little rough in the pics ...ive got one more project bike that i need the 1000 ignition for ...let me know :mrgreen:

toytender01":3mc2uemz said:
Looks like the problrm was either a bad leak of the valve cover gasket or a bad cam seal, the exaust gasket looks good,head gaskets looke good. Don't know why they were pulled.. Anyway have fun.

so most likley reason they were pulled could be : coolant leak (hose, radiator, pump) caused overheating and warping or (if there is no piston/bore material stuck in the valves) crank failure normally caused by over reving in between gears :beer:

ps: FIG, in my country this stands for Heck I'm Good or FIGJAM which is Heck I'm Good Just Ask Me :smilie_happy: