Foot pegs or Floor boards

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer foot pegs or floor boards?

• Foot pegs

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Floor boards

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure if some of you got what I meant to say ( sorry ) , I'm 6' 5 & 1/2" tall ... but I only wear a 9 & 1/2 shoe ... and when I have my right foot on the running boards , I can't just turn my foot in and be on the Brake , because the back of the right Head is kinda in the way. so I have to pick up my right foot and move back some just to get on the Brake pedal . I have Owned and Rode many bikes , and I never had this problem with any other bike. and I sometimes ride well back off whatever is in front of me for this reason. anybody else have this problem.... or is it just me ?

littlebeaver":3tsrrfgr said:
I am very very surprised at everyone of you guy's...And ladies, Not one of you ever said one thing about them scraping the payment in curves, I have floorboards and I like them, I agree you do feel like your part of the bike with pegs however, I have very large feet [13"] and I find that the floorboards with a little modification[ heel shifter] serves me well, especially on long hauls, I can put my heel on the board and the highway peg at the same time bringing me much comfort on a journey can't do that with pegs.. No issues with the brakes for me..I got myself used to it..But scraping does suck, I enjoy leaning the bike more but am restricted because of the floorboards..But my 13" feet like the boards.. 2 pennies
Yeah, mine scraped a little too much for me. Around here, I was worried that the floor boards would hit a pothole while I was leaning into a turn on an on-ramp and snag the board.

As far as comfort, when I take long trips I take my Vetter lowers off and ride with my feet on top of the engine guards and lean back into my backrest. (Real comfy!)

sledge":9nboybem said:
I'm not sure if some of you got what I meant to say ( sorry ) , I'm 6' 5 & 1/2" tall ... but I only wear a 9 & 1/2 shoe ... and when I have my right foot on the running boards , I can't just turn my foot in and be on the Brake , because the back of the right Head is kinda in the way. so I have to pick up my right foot and move back some just to get on the Brake pedal . I have Owned and Rode many bikes , and I never had this problem with any other bike. and I sometimes ride well back off whatever is in front of me for this reason. anybody else have this problem.... or is it just me ?

Mine is the same way. I do have to lift my right foot to grab the rear pedal. The way my right side board is mounted is screwy anyway. When whomever installed them put them on, they put a loooong bolt in the rear mount hole, basically making a peg. My foot is never flat on the board because of that. Also, my feet are behind my hips when seated, so that also makes it harder to raise the foot up to grab the pedal. If I adjust the seat back farther so my feet are in line with my hips, then my arms won't comfortably reach the handlebar. :head bang: It's all a compromise, but there's gotta be a better solution, other than going back to pegs instead of boards.....I really like the boards.
I also hardly ever use them when riding, anyway...I use the hiway pegs on the crash guard, which puts my feet in a natural, comfortable position while cruising. The only time my feet are on the boards is when the temps are in the 40s, and I need a little heat!

My 82 standard has pegs. My 83 interstate has boards. It took me awhile to get used to the heel-toe shifter on the 83 with boards, but now I am much more comfortable with the boards. That said, I do have the inconvenience of lifting my leg to shift on one side and brake on the other. Down shifting while braking at the same time is similar to dancing on my but cheeks while juggling with my feet. And I scrape the pavement in left turns. But out on the highway is where I really enjoy the comfort. So much that it deminishes any ideas about switching to pegs. This is what I want from my 83 interstate, a comfortable long trip cruiser. I want to keep my 82 standard equiped with pegs for the shorter hops and sporty spins. 2 different bikes set up for 2 different purposes. I like them both for their own purposes. It just takes me 2 bikes to get the best of both worlds.

sledge":34ifpl8x said:

I'm with ya sledge.
6'4" here and huge feet...
I also know what it is to have to move BOTH feet to ride...
along with your afore mentioned right foot problem I have an old injury to my left foot wich makes it hard to pull up with my toe.
so the heel toe shifter for me is heal - heal ... I lift foot and downshift AND upshift with my heal..
this along with the repositioning right foot to break sometimes catches me with both feet in the air... LOL.

I would love to find a set of forward controls but too expensive in my present financial situation.

think I might try the highway peg + floorboard solution mentioned earlier in the post...
it might turn out better... I have been searching for some nice highway pegs and extenders to get my feet out in front. but will probly have to make those..

as far as scraping... I drag once in a great while... with wife and me on and soft rear pressure...
but it hasnt bothered me because I know there are slides under the boards for that...

scdmarx":1km6udeq said:
Down shifting while braking at the same time is similar to dancing on my but cheeks while juggling with my feet.

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: Now that is a funny image.

jdegase":k4up9bo0 said:
as far as scraping... I drag once in a great while... with wife and me on and soft rear pressure...
but it hasn't bothered me because I know there are slides under the boards for that...

One thing that will wake you up is the floorboards scraping pavement with yer foot UNDER the head! :crying: It's a scary feeling knowing the board(s) will flip up....and mash yer tootsies between them and the head....another reason I don't keep my feet on them all the time. :ahem:

Another reason I wear steel toe boots when I ride. I imagine dragging the board might be a bit less shocking than dragging my big feet on those little pegs.

Today I switched back to pegs, I removed the floorboards and I gotta say, I wish to change my vote now, I think I like it better with pegs, the floorboards make the bike feel wide for some reason, shiftings is easier for me, and I can lower my brake adjustment down some now as its too high now and I feel I have more brake too..Better control of cycle,, change my vote to pegs..

slabghost":2ecucmtz said:
Another reason I wear steel toe boots when I ride. I imagine dragging the board might be a bit less shocking than dragging my big feet on those little pegs.

I'm always startled when the toe of my size 12's scrape the ground, I always jerk my foot up in a reflex. :smilie_happy:

I had a choice on my Wing of either using the engine guards that came with the bike, or putting the marklands and heel/toe shifter on. Couldn't have both at the same time. They use some of the same mounting points.

Plus short legs have demanded that I lower the whole thing an inch. I feel that the rear of the boards gets in the way for trying to move the bike like backing out of a parking slot.

On the V-Star 1100 I used to own the boards and controls were forward and more comfortable that way on that bike.

my '80 wing has a cheap set of floorboards and they get in the way when setting my feet down and the heel toe shifter leaves a lot to be desired. The '83 Aspy has pegs and i like it fine as long as i have some highway pegs to stretch out when i need to. On the other hand, my dad's VTX1300 has floorboards and i like them, but i think mostly due to different engine layout and placement.

All my other bikes have been pegs... I like the boards on my 81.. with minor issues.. like most have stated.. the 1/2 the boards are under the heads... the normal supplied heel/toe shifter leaves some desire for different style.. I want a rod and bellcrank style like on the late 70"s suzukis.. removing the original shifter and putting an attachment on the shift shaft... and the brake pedal.. is just a bit off from where I would like it.. I wear a 9 boot.. yeah mine scrape but i have only been able to do that with 2 other bikes... a 78 750 honda with wife on and tight turns.. and my 84 vf 700 magna with the wife on..(really had to try to do that).. so I don't mind the boards.. and since I do cramp in the lower legs, being able to move the foot without losing the peg is a bonus.. ain't much of one but a bonus.. I am 5' 10" and I can get the feet down with them..

rkthev":qnf4gxll said:
When I posted this poll I thought it might go the other way. Been looking at Craigslist lately for possibly another Goldwing and it seems most of them have floorboards.

I have an un-used (new) Calafia floorboard kit in my garage for a 1000 if you really want floorboards. Bought it a long time ago from the salvage yard for a former project and never used it... I'll have to lay it out to see if it included passenger boards (?)

I have thought about planning out a way to Move my front boards forward , along with Shifter and Brake .... kinda like on the old Choppers , forward controls . they was really comfy out on the open road . might take a little work ... but I'm sure it could be done and still not look hacked up. :Egyptian:

Latest posts