fork rebuild/ progressive springs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowesnest3

Reaction score
Man how many ways are there to change the fork (in) oil? ....... the question is: if I pull the fork caps to refill with fresh fork oil can i also then just pull the oem fork springs and replace them with "progressives" ? or is there more than just pulling em out of the tube to contend with? Already understand I have to contend with compressing em back into tube to reinstall the caps, progressives
supposed to be easier in addition to handling improvement ....... Crowe ...
:Egyptian:

thanks for that Dan, had a feeling would be ok, front wheel will be up in the air ...... Crowe .. :Egyptian:

It sounds like you know what you are doing so it should not be a problem. Not to open a can of worms but any chance you know when the seals were replaced? Also you do know about making a pusher for the caps from a 2x4? Please give us an update on the new fork springs once you get them in.

Tuna .... thanks for the encouragement. As to the seals (oops) being honest here, I am hoping that a little seal maintenance will "help" what is some minor leaking. Yes I know I should go for the whole enchillada but I've got an impending work project coming up wherein I really want/need the wings mpg and am pressed for maintenance time. I also must replace the rear tire, like really must! That Dunlop is muerto! Already spent a good amount of time trying to figure my move on the tire replacement, like switch over to a whole new set? Shinko, Bridgestone, Michelins .... ???? Finally, because my front tire, Dunlop, is in excellent condition I am just going back to the Dunlop 491 MV85b15 that was on there, got at least 10000 miles that I know of , use the $ difference to install the progressives. As to the reinstall of the caps, maybe go with the wood lever? maybe thinking of an alternate using one of my many different type wood clamps I have in the shop, not sure yet but it'll get done some how. Progressives right away gives me an extra 2" less to push, I'm told. Will put up a follow up post after the fact ......Crowe .... :Egyptian: .............may have to open it all back up after the job to get after those seals, chance I got to take right now ......

jorgensen wood clamp works really good for me ...with spring out figure where the threads start on forks and cap and mark spot to start ... one 1/4 turn from there and it is attached and done deal... smart hands are best tools

Joe .... you referring to the wooden jaw clamp, pipe clamp ..?? You putting the pressure on top of the rachet maybe hooked under the handle bars or triple tree? Haven't yet looked hard at project, but thinking that would be where I was going to head as to how to clamps springs down to reseal caps
Crowe :Egyptian:

Latest posts