Fork Swap from an 83 into an 80 What do I need.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTATSOC

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Burgundy 1980,1,2,3 Goldwing and a Black 1981 Goldwing
I'm sure someone has done this before and there is probably a DIY on the forum, but I could not find it. What I would like to do is swap an 83 set for forks into an 80. You may ask why, I would like to get the anti dive function of the 83 forks and what should be the better braking form the 83's brakes. Or better yet is there a possibility of swapping one in from a GL1200.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to do this and what I need.
Philip

The brakes will be he tricky part. The '83 has unified brakes - the rear pedal operates the rear and right-front brakes, while the front lever operates the left-front. There is a steel hydraulic line that runs from a metering valve to the front brake. Also, the '83 front calipers use 2 different piston sizes. I'm pretty sure the '82 front calipers will bolt up to the '83 brackets, so if you can find an '82 front brake system, you should be good.

Same front end on the CB1100F minus the brake linking, I`m not sure the steering head measurements are identical though. I do have a steering head for an 1100F around if someone can tell me the measurements of the Interstate I can check.
The 1100F has tapered bearings as well, not sure if they used them on the 83 Aspencade but they should have.

I put the Magna front end on mine and used just one disk. I can squeal the front tire easily with the Magna brake master and one set of dual piston calipers. It has trac drive similar to an 83 or 85 Wing, but it is different. If you can lock up the front tire, how much more do you need? It's cheaper to rebuild. I may have to replace pads more often, but that's minor. So I'm giving you another option to consider.

Latest posts