Free speech - violence in Tunisia

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
We have a very close friend who lives in Tunisia that was an exchange student with us a few years ago. She is now 18 years old and has faced many obstacles. After living here for almost a year and experiencing our freedoms, she had to go back to Tunisia where freedom does not exist for most people, especially women! She just posted a New York Times article on Face Book about the violence and demonstrations going on over there. I posted a comment to her page and while we were in the middle of chatting, her Face Book account suddenly disappeared! She was very concerned that things are getting real bad and their Government was not open to free speech!!!

We are very concerned for her and her family! I do not know what has happened! These circumstances always remind me of all of the sacrifices that our soldiers have made to allow us to keep our freedoms! Free speech does come at a cost!

Here is the article she posted before her account was removed:
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/world ... nisia.html

Free will and free speech is not a right in most countries and if we aren't vigilante won't remain so here either.

slabghost":f1fbx3op said:
Free will and free speech is not a right in most countries and if we aren't vigilante won't remain so here either.
Got that right!
"Evil prevails when good people do nothing"

sounds just like america tomarrow .....they got all kinds of plans of police and military control to put on we the people and sensorship is already in place making free speech a terrorist act to be arrested for or offensive or hate ......people have to be or remember one of the first things ever tought them ....sicks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me .....america is full of a bunch of thin skin weannies .....i dont wamt a gov ,police and military that going to take my rights away ......i want them to ensure my rights so idont have much pride about what gose on today in america......

but im very concernd for your sister from tuniesa you took in gerry and hope things work out for everyone :mrgreen:

joedrum":29gmas59 said:
sounds just like america tomarrow .....they got all kinds of plans of police and military control to put on we the people and sensorship is already in place making free speech a terrorist act to be arrested for or offensive or hate ......people have to be or remember one of the first things ever tought them ....sicks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me .....america is full of a bunch of thin skin weannies .....i dont wamt a gov ,police and military that going to take my rights away ......i want them to ensure my rights so idont have much pride about what gose on today in america......

but im very concernd for your sister from tuniesa you took in gerry and hope things work out for everyone :mrgreen:

When big economic meltsdowns like we're suffering here at the states happens in some other foreign countries people and mostly younger generations take it to the streets and bust everything up while protesting.Sometimes its infiltrated by groups who start these incidents.It doesn't happen in the states no more since the 60's and early 70's.If these Would happen again now I bet we would have some death tolls here for sure also.So many unemployed,business closed,houses and dreams lost,but life seems to go on...........is business like usual. :doh:

It breaks my heart to hear about places like that in the world. It hurts and sickens me, but it feels like anger. Makes me wish I could go there and help. But I know there's nothing I can do.

dan filipi":33v3zc8f said:
Boy I don't know what else to say other than I hope everyone is OK!

Can you call her?
We cannot call her but their FB came back up online for an hour and we were able to chat for a little while before it went off again. She is OK. They have closed all schools and public functions, setup curfews in Tunis, the Army is trying to crack down.

She said that more than 50 people have been killed by the Army including an 8 year boy. They are protesting their lack of freedom, unemployement, low income and other issues. They are very afraid because they want their current government to resign! (Not likely).

That sux a fat one...
I hope she survives, along with all the rest of the folks that are being hammered by the aristocratic gov lackies....
Four dead in Ohio, Tienanmen Square, etc etc...all were simply folks trying to make a better life for themselves and their families. This stuff goes on somewhere every day, with rarely any positive results.... :|

Man, .........Wow as a seasoned Marine Vet you obviously how i feel about that. I will be praying for a resolution for bot your family and hers. I have fought and bled for freedom. I would lay my life down and and the freedom i have, to provide the same for others.

Hey guys, we have lost contact with our friend Rabeb and her family. Her connection on Face Book from Tunisia has been lost or removed. Even though their President stepped down, there is tremendous violence taking place. Here is the last message we received before we lost the FB connection to Tunisia:

January 14 at 4:05pm Report
people are dying - all buildings around my house were on fire - thieves are trying to get into my house im so terriefied!!!!!!!!!!!!

From BBC News:

Tunisian President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali has fled with his family to Saudi Arabia, after being forced from office after 23 years in power. The 74-year-old leader conceded power after protests over economic issues escalated into rallies against him. Prime Minister Mohammed Ghannouchi has taken over as interim president, and a state of emergency has been declared.

Looks like the students were successful.

Heard anything from your friend, yet? I was listening to the BBC this morning and heard that there were still some loyalists who were causing random trouble. Hope your friend is OK.

They had to get out of their house and move cross state to their grandmothers house. Her neighborhood was being looted as they were leaving yesterday.

I been seeing a LOT of TV news coverage on this situation lately...bad Ju-Ju, for sure. Hope things get better for your friends SOON....it sure don't look very good over there.

10 months later...a dictator is toppled and our friend has just participated in her first FREE election to elect a new government! God is good!

mcgovern61":3hyivk51 said:
10 months later...a dictator is toppled and our friend has just participated in her first FREE election to elect a new government! God is good!
Awsome glad she's ok & able to choose one big hurray here :yahoo: .