Frightening experience

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A group of us on mixed bikes went for a short 50 mile ride out and back, and as everyone separated and went their own ways I was left riding with a friend, just the two bikes.

He was on a 650 Ninja very pretty little black thing with 1,200 miles on it. He has only been riding for two summers, and likes to go with others, so it was a fun ride.

Until...I'm still not sure exactly what happened. He was getting ready to turn off toward his place, and I passed him on a stretch of 6 lane highway with a meridian, instead of turning he followed me, but his lane changing went bad...I looked in my rear-view mirror and all I saw was dust on the side of the road.

After an emergency stop, I study my mirror to try to ascertain what has happened, thank god I see a helmeted figure wandering out of the dust!

The ninja is a complete loss, it tumbled end over end several times and ended up about 50 feet from where he ended up. I see skid marks on the road, then slide marks and pieces of bike, then the marks leave the road and there are gouges in the sandy dirt on the meridian. The bike is just a mess, both of the headlights were on the shoulder of the highway on the opposite side of the meridian. Chunks of plastic all over.

Ryan was conscious when I got there, some good Samaritans had chased him down and gotten him sat back down. I had someone call the paramedics then had him lay down, he was lucid and knew a few random facts. He had some good scrapes on his elbow, the fancy coat with the pads had torn and let the road in. He was only wearing jeans on the bottom, so his knee had a gnarly gouge and impressive road rash. He had even ripped the back pocket off of his jeans and a paramedic found his wallet somewhere.

There was no damage on his helmet, it was still shiny clean, still cant figure out how that worked out.

So then I had the unenviable task of calling his wife and trying to keep from freaking her out while at the same time telling her to meet us at the hospital, because her husband had been in a motorcycle accident. I failed, still freaked her out. Sigh...I really tried.

At the end of the day, his Ninja is totaled, his wife gave me a hug, and he has some serious bumps, scrapes, and bruises to heal.

When i finally asked him what happened he said when he tried to change lanes, he turned on his emergency blinker, and was trying to turn it off, when he locked up his back brake and "high sided it"

Thank god he was ok. Did I mention that we were both doing about 70mph?

Great to hear that he survived, not the sort of thing that anyone wants to witness and especially the phone call to the other half. Riding requires 100% concentration and no matter how good we get there is always brain fade.

Good to hear he`s OK.. I don't know how forgiving a Nija 650 is but I one rode a Yami R1 and allthough I found it a fast smooth ride it seemed I could easily do stoppies,weellies, and generally wip that bike around enough to get me in trouble..I took it back and was glad top get back on my old 83 GPZ. My old bike wasn't as advanced and ultra powerfull but it was predictable and had enough power to keep me happy.

GLADEno one was killed . we had a kid on a 250 ninga got killed hadn't went 100 yardsfrom were he pulled out ..truck he hit flipped. had it wound out truck didn't see him.turned in front. not a happy ending

Glad to hear your friend Ryan is OK! The best lessons are those you survive to use the rest of a long life.

This will probably not sound strange to you fellow experienced riders: The toughest thing I've found in riding a Wing, after 40 years of riding about every other bike, is keeping FOCUSED and not being complacent. I never use the cruise control except to rest my right hand when necessary. I look around a lot and though I prefer peace and quiet when riding I'll sometimes crank the tunes, and also stop even when I don't need to, physically, just to keep FOCUSED. These bikes will lull an inexperienced rider into a false sense of security/control. We're all way too experienced to fall for that, but I'll humbly admit that it fooled me to start with. I found myself daydreaming while riding, which I almost never experienced before. I know that Ryan was not on a Wing, but better he learn and survive the learning before he does.

So he did not have to spend the night in the hospital. But they may bring him back in for some rock-removal surgery on his knee.

He said that he does not know what happened. He is sure he did not brake, but the brake locked up.

He was changing lanes as we were going into an easy highway corner, and had not noticed the corner. His emergency blinker came on when he tried to signal, so he looked down and was trying to figure out how to turn it off, looked up, was surprised by the corner and tried to slow down (big no-no). His back brake locked up, but he does not think that he grabbed the brake, and he lost control.

Looking at the skid marks I think that he may have laid it down on the shoulder just before he left the road. (hence the road rash). And he definitely locked the brake for about 15-20 feet just before that. There was the beginning of a guard rail aligned with his skid, but he missed it by a few feet (thank god!)

Definitely great that he has survived a huge misadventure and hope that this contributes to his increased experience for future riding and never has something like this happen again. :good:

Latest posts