Front fork "brace"?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Might be a weird question, but it's the only kind I know... :mrgreen:
What is involved in installing the front fork braces I see all the time. the one that goes right up against the front fender? I see them on a lot of 'Wings, but I don't think they are factory installed....are they? I've looked thru the parts manual, and do not see the brace listed. One thing I did find that I thought was kinda funny, was there is a small, chrome "plug" that goes in the hole in the top of the fender. The description of this plug is what is so funny..."Plug for useless hole in fender" :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Anyway...are these braces a factory deal that was like an option, or are they dealer/aftermarket?
I got a little curious today when I got a call from another member asking about the brace, and if it was required/installed on ALL Goldwings. I know mine has never had one...
Any thoughts?

The '83's came factory installed with a fork brace. All other years of the 1100 it's aftermarket.

From what I here they help handling quite a bit.

I couldnt tell ya if the factory '83 brace would fit the other years to get a used one like from Ebay but alot of places sell them new. Wingstuff lists them for 80-82.

https://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2912 ... Fork_Brace

The one on the 83 will not fit other years. The top of the sliders have holes in them so that brace can bolt to it.

Thanks, fellers! I been wondering if I should maybe install one on my '81. Do they really make that much difference in "normal" riding situations?

I have one on my '82 and it was there when I got it. I have never tried riding without it. My front end is stable, even a little stiff for me.

The fork brace helps hold the forks perpendicular and prevents them from bowing/ flexing under stess. SIMULATION
Since they do nothing to the spring rates, if your tubes are straight they should eliminate binding and not increase the harshness of the ride. In fact, just the opposite, it should run up and down the stroke smoother... if your front end feels stiff, I'd look somewhere else for the cause.

mcgovern61":1qj7xuuj said:
I have one on my '82 and it was there when I got it. I have never tried riding without it. My front end is stable, even a little stiff for me.

A stiff front end would not be caused by braces. Too much oil in the tubes, progressive springs, or someone may have put spacers over the OEM springs. How much air is in the front?

I have about 12 lbs of air in the front. I notice it being stiff mostly in road bumps. It tends to rattle my Vetter faring a bit. My old Suzuki GN400 was naked and only had a plexifaring windshield, but it did not rattle on bumps like this bike does some times. The springs are original, but the seals are only 1 year old.

mcgovern61":5mvmwu6b said:
I have about 12 lbs of air in the front. I notice it being stiff mostly in road bumps. It tends to rattle my Vetter faring a bit. My old Suzuki GN400 was naked and only had a plexifaring windshield, but it did not rattle on bumps like this bike does some times. The springs are original, but the seals are only 1 year old.

I usually run close to zero air in the front, well.....I never check the pressure so they are probably zero.

They would be harsh even at that.
I have progressives with 20 wt fork oil, lighter weight oil didnt provide as good of control "feel" in the front.

I notice now that I have a small seal leak in the left fork it rides alittle smoother with less harshness.
I was very careful to fill with the proper amount but later found out that a different amount should go in when rebuilding as when just changing the fluid. I dont remember how much I put in but it would seem that I over filled them because it's gottn smoother with the leak.
I'm going to let the seal leak for awhile, why ruin a good thing :grin:

mcgovern61":135h65r6 said:

I remember the faring rattling on my interstate on bumpy roads and that was a Hondaline, one reason why it's not there now. With the older wings you may just have a rattle from the faring, not sure as I only have experience with mine.

It was my call to AApple that got him asking.. seems that I lose a screw from the brace on mine and then when removing the brace it popped and cracked at one of the mounting holes.. and since it was on the bike I called him and asked.. I have had 2 vf magnas a 82 750 and a 74 700 and they also had this brace on them.. BTW anyone have a 5 piece brace they want to get rid of??

I have a fork brace. The previous owner put it on back in the early 1980's. He told me he noticed very little difference but it made him feel better so he left it on.

I think it helps with stabilization especially in abrupt maneuvers and rough road environments so I leave it on. The best things I have done for my front end was Progressive springs and 20w fork oil.

Just last year I had to do the seals so I changed the bushings and guides. That again made a huge difference in front end performance.

Here is my favorite things about the fork brace.

1) It looks good.

2) I have hit a small deer and had an unintentional get off at about 25 mph and the geometry of my bike is still spot on. I think the extra support makes the front end a bit stronger in abrupt violent incidents. I think I would have had to replace fork tubes without the brace. (Just my opinion)

The aftermarket fork brace addition (as well as progressive springs) eliminates that legendary low speed "wobble" the interstates are famous for. Also, during deep cornering, the front end will be more predictable and not give you that 80's era "feeling". Lets face it, we do stuff with these bikes that was never intended by Honda back then. Personally, I get deep into the corners and lean way into the turn when I'm presented with a great canyon road. It's fun, it's fast, and its an un-natural act for an old Goldwing.

I have a 1983 I with the factory fork brace and Progressive springs and still got the wobble.
It would come during decel around 45 to 35 mph which is typical for the 1100.

2 front tires later (Dunlop E2 and a Pirelli) my wobble stopped after installing a Dunlop E3.
It's been a wonderful tire so far.

I first did the forkbrace/progressive springs, then coughed up about $400 for the Progressive rear airshocks, put on new Dunlops and tightened up the steering head (w/ new bearings). No wobble anywhere now. The cornering is awesome!

I see lots of old wings riding butt-low (with solo riders). That will cause wobble too because of the change in front end geometry.

Latest posts