Front master cylinder help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterDas

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 79 GL1000. I am trying to put the master cylinder back together and am not sure which end of the spring goes in first. Does the bigger end go in first, or is it the smaller end? Been too long since I took it apart... :head bang:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120680#p120680:2256npov said:
joedrum » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:51 am[/url]":2256npov]
sheesh dont know off hand

Yes, one of those things I "forgot", I guess pictures would have been a good idea. I think it goes in big end first, the small end has a covering on it. I think the covering would protect the cup, as the other end is against the case. If I only had my 20 year old memory still......

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120681#p120681:q988lzpz said:
PeterDas » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:06 pm[/url]":q988lzpz]
the small end has a covering on it. I think the covering would protect the cup, as the other end is against the case. If I only had my 20 year old memory still......

You are correct, sir.... :yes:

Prime the master first. fill reservoir with line off. cover the line hole with your thumb and pump the master slowly until it pushes fluid past your thumb and trys to suck your thumb in. Then hook up the line and bleed.

When you get ready to test system after bleeding down to the caliper... you need to remove one bolt and just loosen the other to allow movement/rotation so that the Bleeder points straight up or is at the top.. this allows that little pocket of air to bleed out..the pad will still grab the rotor this way..

Thank you too all for the great help. I bled the brakes for about 2 hours last weekend, and they are spongy. I will try the advice this weekend as I am riding it to work this week, carefully. They are working, just spongy feeling and need to be bled more. I also noticed I could feel the line moving a little by the caliper banjo fittings as I pump the brakes, and wonder if the inner part of the hose is deteriorated.

Get a zip-tie, twine, rope, etc. and pull the lever back, applying the brake, then tie it down like that. Leave it overnight, and see if it don't feel better in the morning. :good:

The hose will normally "swell" with pressure applied, and can cause a spongy feeling....just depends on how much it swells. Braided lines are great upgrades, as they eliminate the hose swelling, and give you a much better brake feel. A little pricey(imo), but well worth it. :yes: