fuel in air intake

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imgeno2

Reaction score
I just rebuild the carburetors and now the bike seems to be running OK but there's a lot of fuel inside the air box.

Could also be a plenum seal leaking, dry it out then lay some tissue paper down inside the plenum turn the gas on but do not start it to see if it is leaking from the center or towards a carburetor.

Not sure if this is at all related but I had a float that was sticking. The bike had an obvious miss when this was happening and you could smell gas. Some guy here answered back that I should turn off the petcock while driving until the bike started to miss because it was running out of gas. This dropped the fuel level in the bowls and the float dropped with the fuel level too. Bike runs great unless I need to idle for a long time. If it does I do the petcock trick and the bike is good again. Like I said this may be unrelated but is you live where you can drive the bike it would be simple to try just to see what your bike would do. Wish I knew the guy here that suggested this but it keeps me from pulling the carbs. Uggg!

I'm happy to get some good replies, thank you. I don't really understand a couple of things. How does the gas get to the plenum seal without the fuel pump? On the petcock trick, do you need to turn it off, on, off, on, off, on as you're riding? Either way, I think that I'll be removing the carbs again.

off and on fuel flushes debris from the seat if it must be constantly repeated you have a sticking float,needle, or needle doesn't match the seat. So you will need to pull the carbs.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164931#p164931:29xrzqjq said:
imgeno2 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:31 am[/url]":29xrzqjq]
I'm happy to get some good replies, thank you. I don't really understand a couple of things. How does the gas get to the plenum seal without the fuel pump? On the petcock trick, do you need to turn it off, on, off, on, off, on as you're riding? Either way, I think that I'll be removing the carbs again.
Have a full or near full tank, although there is a pump you will still get gas flow with a full or nearly full tank, you can also take off the air cleaner, dry the plenum out then start it a few seconds ,shut it off then drop in some tissue paper and see if it starts soaking up from the center or sides where the carbs mount.

On my 79, I had that same problem. Would act like it was missing sometimes and fuel in the plenum. Turned out the fuel leak was caused by leaking seals between the manifold and carb body on #4 cylinder. Randakk's carb kit did the trick. Bella's been running perfect ever since. Though bad floats can cause that too. Really need to verify float height is spot on.

Don't forget to pull the float valve and clean the tiny screen on the back side of each float valve.