fuel mileage

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve L

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 GL1100i
1982 CM450C
I was wondering what kind of fuel mileage everyone is getting on their 1100.
I have an 83 and my last fill up I only got 27 mpg. It was all city driving.
When I did a longer run it was at 40mpg.

Best I ever got on my '81 was 48mpg. That was riding "responsibly"....Worst I ever got was 38mpg riding "normal"(for me).:sneaky: I found that bike did NOT like city traffic....at all. It was at home on the highway.

45mpg on average, but sometimes less. I suspect I'm having a partial coil failure at high speed as well. I have restored many 60's 70's and 80's Hondas, and old, weak coils seem to be a lot more prevalent than I'd like to admit, and they will kill your fuel mileage, especially under a load.

Also, I never got better than 45mpg on my '75 CB750 SOHC either.

My 82 GL500i, on the other hand, has gotten 65 to 70mpg, even 2-up, on rare occasions.

Last edited:
I've gotten low 40's for many years with my '81. It's the highest (?) gear ratio, so I'm turning 4500 @ 65mph.
I took notice riding my 81 GL1100 today, and 4500 RPMs is 70 MPH for me. Mine also seems be geared tall, and 1st will lug a bit pulling off from a start, especially uphill. I frequently negotiate right hand 90 degree turns in 1st, thinking I'm in 2nd, lol! Doesn't help my fuel mileage any I'm sure.

Latest posts