Gas station pressure testers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
in this day and age where you use the little compressors at gas stations and out your 50 cents in and start the compressor to pump up your tire and the pressure gauge is right on the filler hose.

I used one of these to check my tire cause the front end felt a bit funny. The gauge said 35 PSI so I figured okay thats close. But I rode the rest of the day and it still felt weird like a low tire. So I got home and took out my good and slightly expensive garage grade pressure tester and rechecked and what do I see but I was running in the mid twenties PSI. I filled to spec marked on the tire and took her for a boot and BAM it's handling fine.

Don't trust those garage gauges I now carry my good one in the trunk of the bike, A 10 pound difference in read pressure and actual pressure is huge on a motorcycle tire and made all the difference in the world on the handling

Just an experience I thought I would share

Tom

Absolutely Tom! I have had the same experience! I carry a dial type in my tool kit under the shelter. When I fill my tires, I have a good old fashioned foot pump with a gauge and I check it with my dial gauge afterwards.

You bring up a good point Tom.

It's amazing that so many don't check the tires at all.

I was surprised when Susie didn't know how much pressure should be in the tires.
On a Arizona ride one guy had 15 lbs in the front and 25 in the rear. He couldn't understand why it handled so bad in the curves.
We found this out when he crossed the center line because he couldn't turn.

Since I have metal stems I have trouble with getting an accurate check with most gauges because they won't get in there and make a seal. Pretty much the only one I found that works ok is a cheapy miniature one from one of the auto parts chains.

What type do you's guys keep with the bike?

I don't use the station pumps if I can help it, the quality of the air in those things is questionable at best, and don't get me started on their gauges.lol

i don't know how accurate the air guage is that i carry but i trust it more than a guage on a gas station compressor and by using mine i stay consistant. 38psi reading for the front and 40 for the rear, i'm not saying my guage is correct just consestent

I think that's the point. If your bike handles well with your constant pressure then you have the confidence to continue with your set up.

I bet if someone was to be bothered, you could check 10 of those gas station ones and they would give you 10 different readings.

I have rubber stem so I can tilt them just slightly to get a seal on my tester. It's one of the long garage style say 8 inches long with the slider out the end with the pressure scale on it

dan filipi":3l0p2q35 said:

I use this little dial type that matches my other ones lb for lb. I keep it in the shelter.

Attachments

• Tire pressure gauge.JPG
    Tire pressure gauge.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 131
mcgovern61":1d2wtkzl said:
dan filipi":1d2wtkzl said:

I use this little dial type that matches my other ones lb for lb. I keep it in the shelter.

You have to have rubber stems for that one right?
A dial is what I've been keeping an eye out for but for metal tire stems it needs to have a 90 degree turn on the valve end, all of them seem to be straight on or a 45 degree angle at best and the brake disk is in the way.

dan filipi":1pre8s3x said:
mcgovern61":1pre8s3x said:
dan filipi":1pre8s3x said:

A dial is what I've been keeping an eye out for but for metal tire stems it needs to have a 90 degree turn on the valve end, all of them seem to be straight on or a 45 degree angle at best and the brake disk is in the way.

Try this.

Take an air chuck that fits your valve stems. Get a nipple the right size 3/8 pipe i think and put sealant on threads and attach to the chuck. Get a 50 PSI meter from an auto parts store and screw it on the other end.

90 degree Pressure gauge. Air chucks are not one way valves I Don't believe

I use a good quality milton gage that I keep in the shelter.

I also have steel stems,but if I roll the tires in just the right spot I can get the gage in just right.

I also keep a small compact 12volt air compresor (about 1 1/2 x 3 x 5) in the trunk with an emergency plug kit with me.Not to start a debate over plugs,but sometimes you need emergency repair to get you home or to the next town.The compresor comes in handy also for when the wife and son switch places from the back seat to the hack.A quick air adjustment to compensate for the weight shift change.

My bike came with a straight rubber valve on the front and a 90 degree steel valve on the back. the 90 on the back makes checking the pressure a lot easier.

dan filipi":3v8quwk4 said:
mcgovern61":3v8quwk4 said:
dan filipi":3v8quwk4 said:

I have rubber front and back (Bridgestone tires). I just pull the stem sideways and check it.

Thanks Tom for the advice on creating you own guage.. I can just bearly get my pump on my rear stem ( short fat and don't flex enough, and the pump has a screw on tip for the filler nipple)....

Joep":28bg1fug said:
Thanks Tom for the advice on creating you own guage.. I can just bearly get my pump on my rear stem ( short fat and don't flex enough, and the pump has a screw on tip for the filler nipple)....

Well I am tall, fat and don't flex enough. What does that have to do with this thread? :smilie_happy:

Andyb":3h3b2j42 said:
Joep":3h3b2j42 said:

Well I am tall, fat and don't flex enough. What does that have to do with this thread? :smilie_happy:

I resemble my remark on the valve stems.. waaaaay toooooo much.. and flexing has become.. "ummm grandchild can you pick that up for me??"

Andyb":tw3zyo3e said:
Joep":tw3zyo3e said:

the 1500 wing has 90 degree stems and i carry a 90 degree extension on the 1200 wing

Latest posts