Gas Tank Care

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to have a gas tank sitting empty for quite a while, so I want to do something to prevent it from rusting. What is the best thing to use that will keep the inside of the tank from rusting or am I worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried about?

Fill it with tranny fluid....but at 5 gallons, that could get 'spensive. Diesel would prolly be the cheapest, most effective solution. Fill it, then open the petcock to Reserve, and let it run long enough to get some fuel out of it. That should keep the seal in the petcock from drying out, too.

I feel like Paul Harvey, because here is the rest of the story...

I emptied the tank because the fuel sensing unit is gone and there is no fuel cap. These are the items I am working on finding next to cover up the holes so that I can put some fuel in the tank, but this is not the time of year to buying parts for a project bike. I guess I need to move these items to the top of the list for parts that I need to get soon.

I was wondering about a spray product but no matter what I use, if I don't remove the tank, I will have a hard time getting the entire tank coated. I just need to bite the bullet and pull the tank then coat the tank with the deisel/tranny fluid.