Gauge test

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phavas

Reaction score
1981 GL1100

Outside of the 7 volt rectifier (Mine's OK) Has anyone tested the temperature gauge? If so how?
My sensors are good, wiring fine, gauge doesn't move. Fan goes on and off when it shoujld bike doesn't overheat but I don't know how hot it is.

Cheers,
Zaphod

I normally use a constant cruise at 3500-4000 rpm on a mild day to figure out where the temp gauge should read at normal operating temp. I also observe the cut in and cut out points of the thermo fan to give me an idea if my normal operating temp estimate is correct. Thermo fan should be operating at higher readings than normal operating position. Over temp is normally above the thermo cut in point by almost a quarter of gauge reading. Remember temp gauge is an indicator/ guide showing changes in operating conditions.

You just earth the sender wire and it should cause full deflection in the needle towards Hot..

Resurrect this Zombie thread - my temperature gauge stopped working. I can see and access the temperature switch sensor, but there is no way I can get at the temperature gauge sensor - it is behind some kind of engine mount plate. Am I missing something, or do I have to tear this down a bit to get at it to test my temp gauge ?

tks
Trevor

Latest posts