Getting my projects in order in my head.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking I am alright. The non tensioner side of my right belt is no tighter than my left, so I don't think it is too far off.

OK, so I have an embarrassing question. Is there a simple hardware store solution to having lost the threaded plug that keeps my coolant in? (not sure the proper name.) Are the threads a normal dimension type thing? I have looked high and low. I can't find the thing! Can I just get a very short bolt with the same threading? Anyone know what the thread dimensions are???

I am thinking the Goldwing might "miss" a tiny bit more than before I changed the belts and valve gap, but I cannot really verify it because I don't want to run my bike without coolant. (I'm feeling rather foolish today.)

Cervantes,
79 Goldwing

The plug is called a flange bolt (10x12).
The backside of the head is flat to crush the aluminum sealing washer but I suppose you could try some teflon tape on the threads for now then order a new plug and washer, less than $5 at cheapcycleparts.com https://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/ ... mblies/729

Cervantes-

Sounds like you're going thru the same things I'm going thru- trying to get it right, making things better, and above all not REALLY screwing something up!

I did my belts and it didn't go exactly like the how-to guides and when I start thinking about it too much after a while my brain starts to hurt. Just like right now- So I'm going to let it go and just say I think the non-tensioner side of the belt should be pretty tight- only about 1/4 th inch deflection when pushed fairly hard.

Mine started right up and so far so good- still not perfect but getting better- new plugs make a big difference and they're only $2 ea at Advanced Auto.