Gl 1100 goldwing Ratbike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutt777

Reaction score
Well everyone...my project is coming togeather.. :Egyptian: Im down to the last final got to dos :yahoo: I took my valve covers off, because I want to adjust my valves?? and I find what appears to be...a white looking oil. Water im guessing...Now..tho it seems the oil in the lower motor, when checking..is nice and carmel? the the oil in the heads. is white. can that happen when its set outside for over 20 years in the weather..get water in the top end..also in my recient posts..i spoke of a crack in the head..behind the right side front valves..behind the timing belt, and front mid section of the right side head. Im goin to drain all the oil. and refill and see what happens..does rad fluid travel behind the heads??as part of the coolng system?? if so..i think it broke :head bang:..Im ajusting my valves...how do I turn the motor over to set the gaps on the valves?? wheres the Rotor bolt Cover? doesnt show me in the manuel

If it sat outside with the plugs or intake manifolds off it could have filled the cylinders and leaked past the rings, should be no other way to get inside the block unless some mischievous children put the hose into the oil fill or something.
Drain the oil, leave the drain plug out then fill the radiator and see if it goes down and if water leaks out the drain, I wouldnt waste oil yet.
I know there can be water pump problems that cause water in the oil, maybe another culprit other than the heads or gaskets.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144128#p144128:28nqiywe said:
zman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:24 pm[/url]":28nqiywe]
If it sat outside with the plugs or intake manifolds off it could have filled the cylinders and leaked past the rings, should be no other way to get inside the block unless some mischievous children put the hose into the oil fill or something.
Drain the oil, leave the drain plug out then fill the radiator and see if it goes down and if water leaks out the drain, I wouldnt waste oil yet.
I know there can be water pump problems that cause water in the oil, maybe another culprit other than the heads or gaskets.

good stuff id do just like Z said

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144128#p144128:3bwqzapn said:
zman » 12 minutes ago[/url]":3bwqzapn]
Great, thank for the wisdom/// Ill do just that

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144128#p144128:2acerbhe said:
zman » 14 minutes ago[/url]":2acerbhe]
Thanks..wheres the rotor bolt cover?? need to adjust the valves

on the left side of bike ...and on the back of motor ..it is a cast plug looking in basck of the round stator housing ...once cap off ..take 12mm to fit bolt inside there always go clockwise ...you dont want to loosen this at all ..

If the engine is in the frame just put the bike in second gear and use the rear wheel to rotate the engine into position for the valve adjusting.

Stator is under the rotor. Rotor bolt cover is the big plug in the middle of your stator cover left rear of the motor. Do not turn stator bolt CCW or you may loosen the bolt.

sure fire way to find out, go to harbor frieght tool's and buy a cheap cooling system pressure tester(good tool to have for all ) and fill up the rad, pump it up to 15lbs of pressure with the plugs out and oil drain plug out and you will know in 10 min if you have a problem or not! no quessing,trial and error or mabey!! if you have a problem.you will get water out of the drain plug or in a cyl(turn the engine over after 10 min with the plugs out) and watch for the pressure guage to drop. This tool and a compression tester are 2 tool's that are a must have for a hobby wrench car or motorcycle person. it will save your butt time and again :good: