GL1000 Basket Case

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe this is going to be a long term project. Most of the coolant parts are in a bag, so those aren't the issue. Biggest things I need are:

radiator - found one going to pick it up.
Front ends - found some forks and going to pick them up with the radiator.
Tupperware - I am thinking 75 - 77 are all the same (is that correct?)
wheels - no rush
carbs - wasn't sure if 1100's would work or not.

Like I said, I am going to be working on this one as I can, so it will keep me off of the streets and out of my wife's hair.

yep if it was me ...and i had your bike and this 1/2 parts bike ...id pull the valves covers and cam carriers to check them out ...and have put in the 81 you have ...and in a days effort or so you would have a nice vetter dresser as you do now that thinks its a rocket chaser ....i have an 83 done this way ...your 81 would would roll on power boost in 5th gear second to no other oldwing ...this cam switch deal into 1100s is the nost bang for the effort mod i ever done on a oldwing ....my 83 oldwing will stay with 1800 wings ive done it ...it take a highly tricked 1000 to compete with the 83 angry dresser ...it would be like having a new bike in attitude..... :mrgreen:

brian there is another option here also ...one also im very familiar with also....if you put a 1000 motor in a 1100 bike ...you come up with a great touring machine ...as the gearing out to road gets taller ...my 79 with a 1100 final installed did about 3600 rpm at 70 mph where before it was about 4200 rpm at 70 id say ...this put the touring speed at the bottm of the sweet spot in the torque zone and it added a lot of comfort over stock gearing even though oldwings are already smooth it got better and it was easier to travel all day on me ...the other advantage was it was taller in first gear and i never knew how great it was to have first gear that would last a bit longer....i wouldnt call it a trailor rig but it sure handled itself good with me on it ....its a rather easy mod on a 1100

not trying to talk you into anything just saying what i know of with the parts i seen in the pics

Someone else can correct me but most things on a 77 can be taken from any GL1000...

That's from 75 thru 79...the manuel for a GL1000 does show some differences but they are minor in the long run..

joedrum":9n9qk06r said:
no 75-77 are same in most ways ...78-79 totally different

That is what I am finding out when looking at parts diagrams for all the parts I need. Luckily I found a guy that strips bike about 1 hour away and he has a few 76's and 77's waiting to be stripped.

How many empty frames is too many?

I picked up a frame with a triple tree and forks and another just came along for the ride: scrap metal is over $8.00 per 100 pounds the last I checked. Now I have a total of 4 frames at my house: only two have a title so the others were scrap. After a little cutting and welding I now have a few scrap pieces and an engine stand. Time to get to work on that tank and then I can try to look at all the cut wires.

Time for an update!

I pissed off the wife today and added to my MBS problem by picking up a 78 donor bike that has everything but a title. Now I figure between the 77 with a titled frame and all the parts from the 78 without a title, I should be a lot closer to a complete bike. The search continues for parts that will not cross over. I know that the carbs will need to be reworked so for now I guess the issue to decide is: do I go with a single carb or keep it stock and go with four. Since it is so dang cold, I guess I have some time to think about it.

id look into the 78 or 1100 carbs to see if they can be made good without spending huge amount of money on them first ...that really the cheapest route ...if not salvageable then maybe somthing else is what id plan for

Joe you have spoken the magic word! What ever is the CHEAPEST solution is what I am going to be doing. A single carb conversion may be the ultimate desire, but it may take a while to get that done. Next step is to take stock of everything I have and see what will work and what I still need.

I thought I had lots of work to do. I just finished my carbs yesterday and they turned out great. After I had them torn down I bowled the whole rack in 4 gallons of water and two bottles of pine sol. It work better then I imagined it would and I was able to get the jets out!. I use carb cleaner and lots of compressed air to dry them out. Looking forward to getting them on my bike!

Latest posts