GL1000 Basket Case

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I will begin my trek into the realm of MBS. I am picking up a 1977 GL1000 Basket Case. I am going to be needing a manual for the 1000, so I am wondering if anyone has one they can share...

Look in the "Gallery Tech References" at the tops of the pages. Owner's manuals, service, and parts manuals are there. :good:

backlander":279dlkrq said:
Ok Brian, prepare yourself, MBS is a lot like morphine, only better. :Egyptian: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

That is what I am afraid of because it is going to take at least one part bike to get it back together.

Quite a bit a work has been done, but there are problems with the ignition, so it should be interesting. This bike will push my limits when it comes to ignition systems, so I know I will be asking a lot of questions. But first, I will need to find some parts.

The PO had it running and rode it about 200 mile after repainting it, but he said he went through two ignitions in that time. He said the guy he got it from thought he was an electrician. Claims that speedo had 34k but it is long gone so not sure if that should have a 1 in front of it or not. Electrical seemed to be the big issue. He started to part it out and that's where I took over. Thankfully this will not be my daily rider, so I have nothing but time to work on this one. The motor does crank smoothly with the kick starter so at least it isn't locked up tight.

well the early 1000s wiring can be rough it actualy sucks in design.... hopfuly im fixing that in my 77 im working on ...oh isee you that bike from ngw forum i seen that ...good for you and now i think this is great ... no carbs huh ....hope the ignition is there on the back of left head ...lots to get for sure

joedrum":30lxfd5l said:
:shock: sheesh brian gerry going to post my basket case tub again :hihihi: :mrgreen:
image.php

:smilie_happy:

It looks really clean! Sad to see all those cut wires, but you can't beat the price! I hope you're gonna pull the heads - with no carbs or timing belts, who knows what's in there... Or, you can pick up a cheap endoscope on eBay and look inside through the plug holes.

Enjoy the new toy!

Steve83":3jg0f863 said:
I hope you're gonna pull the heads - with no carbs or timing belts, who knows what's in there...

I was planning on pulling the heads, but I could always use some new tools... That is one of the things I like about this place. You look for advice and you find out that the members are all friendly but they are enablers. :smilie_happy:

image.php

its missing a lot of parts ...radiator 1000 or 1100 will work

water plumbing thermostat holder to heads 1000-1100 will work

water pump cover any oldwing 4 scylinder

carbs 1000 or 1100 will fit ...intake horns also ...764 carbs are 77 year numbers

even inside timing covers missing

this will take a lot of parts and time coils wiring and all ...i wouldnt spend to much on parts on the rest of bike till i knew how good the motor was .

but if you think like i do there some huge options here with the parts you have ...if you like to wrench and make things better.....

Latest posts