gl1100 engine swap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be an issue swapping driveshafts but it should otherwise bolt right in. 83 ignition is also different and will require some wiring changes. 79 carbs can be used but will need a vacuum port to operate the vacuum advance on the 83 ignition. Very much a possible project.

that will work. But you could just swap in the cams and use the 1000 ignition on the 1100 heads. Might want to read over some of joedrum's posts on the matter. Might save you the cost of head gaskets for a while.

I agree with Slab. The 1100 will require a frame modification to the center crossmember due to the ignition module taking more space. If you pull the rear cover, you can just swap the 1000 output shaft for the 1100 and it will bolt right up to the driveshaft. If you could remove the ignition module from the 1100, you wouldn't need to modify the frame. Those who have dropped the 1100 in claim they are fast.

theres no difference in output shafts so no problem there ...if the ignition is pulled off and flat plated over hole its no problem either ....in all cases of 1100 transplant will get you a lower geared bike ...for a street bike this aint bad at all ...it will be a road torcher...the 83 1100 actualy comes out rather nice with its overdrive fifth gear matched to the 1000 final drive unit ...this will be a nice project to follow :mrgreen:

need to pull the heads anyway, the bike supposedly had a head gasket leak. anyway, i haven't heard anything that would dissuade me from going ahead. will go down to SLC, thanksgiving and pickup the motor from my son's place and start the swap after the first of the year. will keep you posted for sure. thanks for all the comments