GL1100 Rectifier/Regulator Testing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreatorsDream

Reaction score
Is the GL1100 1980-83 Honda Service Manual testing of the rectifier correct?
I'm asking because I have tried these tests on two different regulator/rectifiers and can not get the correct readings. Either I'm not reading my RadioShack multimeter correct, or both R/R's are bad, or the procedure for checking is bad. I'm also including some information from another GW mechanic that makes more sense because his method is closer to the readings I'm getting. Can anyone help shed some light on this test for seeing if the regulator/rectifier is bad?
RectifierCheck.jpg

Note that I get no reading whatsoever in the Reverse Direction which should be 6,000 Ohms. This is directly from the Honda Manual.

Now here is another test by Motorcycle Expert: Mark Shively - 7/16/2004

Regulator/Rectifier testing:
The Ground side...

Disconnect both connectors going to the R/R, put your multimeter on DIODE testing, attach your meter's positive lead to the green wire, then one at a time touch each yellow wire you should get 0.5xx one each yellow wire. Reverse your leads and test each yellow wire again, you should get nothing on each wire. If any of the yellow wires does not test correctly that half of the rectifier section is blown the entire R/R will have to be replaced.

The Positive side...

Put your negative test lead on the Red/White wire then touch each yellow wire with the positive lead, again you should get 0.5xx on each wire, reverse the leads and test again, you should get nothing. And again... if any of the yellow wires does not test correctly that half of the rectifier section is blown the entire R/R will have to be replaced.

Bad tests will show up as nothing (infinity), or shorted 0.000, 0.3xx, basically anything that that falls below 0.5xx is going to be a dead or dying diode, at least for silicon diodes diodes made from other substances will test differently.

Hope this helps.

Okay so my testing shows .97 instead of .5xx on the ground side with no reading when reversing my leads. I'm also getting .94 instead of the .5 using the positive side test with no reading when I reverse the leads. Is my regulator/rectifier good or bad?
multimeter.jpg

Note that I'm using the 2nd from the top K Ohms setting to take my readings. I'm not an electrician so I'm waling in the dark...

according to the Directions you should be using the third from the top setting for Diode. it will give you a different reading

Definitely need to be using the Diode setting, if you're testing the diodes. Diodes are like one-way valves...they let electricity thru in one direction, but keep it from going back the other direction. Using an ohm setting is not going to get the correct results. Try your same tests again with the meter on the Diode setting...the one that looks like an arrow sticking into a wall. :eek:k:

rickyd":38bin8nz said:
according to the Directions you should be using the third from the top setting for Diode. it will give you a different reading
Okay guys that setting did the trick! I got two readings at .505 and one at .497. Those readings mean I'm okay with the R/R, right?

So I'm wondering about the procedure in the Honda Service Manual. Has anyone been able to get the "over 6,000 Ohms in the Reverse Direction? Or is this somehow a misprint?

The FSM was written for use of the old analog style meters. The meter you have is nice. I've one just like it but it isn't the most accurate.

The manual test is correct for analog meters (which I use). I also have a digital meter, buy I really like my analog...much less finicky and has always been right on the money! (PLus I like to see which way the needle moves!!)