GL1200 Aspencade Ground Clearence

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210572#p210572:2k2t33u0 said:
OldCrow » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:57 pm[/url]":2k2t33u0]
I've pretty much decided to put Progressive 00-1172 springs in the stock Honda air shocks.
Looks like I'll just need new oil seal 91257-MG9-671(1 ea shock) and a couple air line O-rings 91305-323-000 (1 ea shock).
Does this look right?
Any recommendations of suppliers?
A quick search and I see Babbits and Partzilla have the OE stuff and JPCycle has the springs. If no nays I'll be making an order but then off the SC Beaches for too long, but gotta keep misses OldCrow happy :)
:good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210577#p210577:2ujv8yth said:
Rednaxs60 » Today- 9:05[/url]":2ujv8yth]
You can get the oil seals from Honda, air o-rings from an hydraulic shop.

I checked and my "local" about 50miles, Honda Powersports has the seal marked up such that it's actually cheaper to buy online and pay shipping, then drive buy and pay extra local taxes.

For the O-ring, it's not really high pressure. I'd think an O-ring from the local Hardware store would work fine, if I could fine the correct dimensions. But then they are cheap enough I'll probably just order them when I get the seals.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210541#p210541:29gp6fyn said:
OldCrow » June 28th, 2019, 5:05 am[/url]":29gp6fyn]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210540#p210540:29gp6fyn said:
pidjones » Today- 6:29[/url]":29gp6fyn]
Seat height is spec'd at 30.7". Floorboards are way too low on a 1200. I had them on an SEi and almost ripped one off in an intersection just barely leaned over but caught the edge of a concrete section. They came off that day.

Yes I've seen the seat spec, but I am hoping for a fore/aft spec and a max weight loaded spec. I suppose I'd might as well be wishing for a pink unicorn pony to give to my niece :)

Thought I'd mention that there is a GVWR for your bike. Bike weighs in at 750ish pounds and there is approximately 400-450 lb additional weight the bike will carry. This is rider, passenger and luggage. The tires are rated for this 1300ish pounds. I used Michelin Commander II tires on my '85 LTD (it's slightly heavier than your Aspy) and got good mileage out of them, some 30K Kms. Have Shinko Tourmasters on now, but may go back to the Michelins depending on longevity. Would have stayed with the Michelin tires but have the 1500 for two up touring.

Cheers

Update:
After a near month enforced but enjoyable hiatus from the soothing work on my bikes, I've gotten started rebuilding the air shocks with the progressive 00-1172 spring kit and oil seals sourced from partszilla.

The 00-1172 spring look way different from the my OE and the Progressive instruction manual shows the older style air shock. Mine is an 1987 Aspy with Showa ML8-701 shocks have different details on securing the oil seal.

Has anyone had experience with the 00-1172 on an 1987 bike? what were your experiences?

It will be a week or so before the bike is back on the road as I'm also swapping out the rear tire while I got the rear stripped down. Going with the Michelin Commander 2 based on you folks recommendations, thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN3518.jpg
    DSCN3518.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN3517.jpg
    DSCN3517.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN3516.jpg
    DSCN3516.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 102
It’s not looking as bad as I originally thought as I couldn’t really make out the full length of the “original” outer spring (far left in picture) and thought it was a really short new one. If you notice the variable wind pitch of the progressive inner I don’t think that you will have a problem as long as the progressive springs are the correct length for 1200s. I haven’t done this job even though I had 2 sets of progressive springs sent to me but the importer went broke and they are lost to me. :doh: :head bang:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211501#p211501:39o8byjp said:
Ansimp » Yesterday- 18:49[/url]":39o8byjp]
It’s not looking as bad as I originally thought as I couldn’t really make out the full length of the “original” outer spring (far left in picture) and thought it was a really short new one.

The far left is new Progressive, next is old OE with plastic, next is new Progressive inner spring, and finally the right is the old OE inner spring.

I don't have the equipment to measure spring compression rates and I'm not sure that resting length will tell a whole lot about the condition. And I don't even know what the resting length is specified to be so....

I finished reassembly of the air shocks last night. After the first one the 2nd was a breeze. The disassembly of the all the Aspencade bling to access the shocks takes longer then rebuilding the air shocks :)

Waiting on my new Michelin tires to tie it all back up. I am so itching to go for a ride.

Just did the same job on my 81 GL1100 2 weeks ago. made a healthy improvement on the ride quality. I injured my right leg 3 weeks ago though, and have not had the strength in it to pull it up on the centerstand yet, but maybe this coming weekend. No more bottoming out in the rear,at least, and I did new progressive front springs in May 2017. Like you, I spent more time removing and re-hanging my bag framework, although my bags are the Samsonite pull-and-carry type. After getting the routine down with the first shock, the second one was done in less than half the time of the first, lol!

Latest posts