GL1200 Aspencade Ground Clearence

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
Hello all,
Does anyone have the curb weight and loaded ground clearance specs for a 1987 GL1200A? We have a big tour planned and I'm just trying to figure if the 32 year old bike with 24k miles rear and front springs have too much sag. I'm sure there are specs for spring length in the manual but I'd rather not disassemble to find an answer.

It does 'feel' low since I'm constantly dragging parts, but I believe that's in major part due to the floor board heel/toe shifter arrangement. :) Still not sure if I like that Heel/Toe setup.
Thanks

Oldwings are low in ground clearance ...and I always thought air assist shocks were a bad idea on such heavy bikes ...basically it can’t work unless the springs are weaker than they need to be so air can make a difference....most who dive into this deep seem to replace springs to stronger springs or completely new shocks and delete the air system ...progressive springs seem to be the most use in the forks ...

Seat height is spec'd at 30.7". Floorboards are way too low on a 1200. I had them on an SEi and almost ripped one off in an intersection just barely leaned over but caught the edge of a concrete section. They came off that day.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210540#p210540:y0hrpgtl said:
pidjones » Today- 6:29[/url]":y0hrpgtl]
Seat height is spec'd at 30.7". Floorboards are way too low on a 1200. I had them on an SEi and almost ripped one off in an intersection just barely leaned over but caught the edge of a concrete section. They came off that day.

Yes I've seen the seat spec, but I am hoping for a fore/aft spec and a max weight loaded spec. I suppose I'd might as well be wishing for a pink unicorn pony to give to my niece :)

I've had a dozen bikes and lord only knows how many miles, but this is my first with Heel/Toe and floor boards. The boards are kinda nice on the Super Slabs and meow back roads but "spirited" riding is verboten.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210539#p210539:2gj22mkm said:
joedrum » Today- 6:11[/url]":2gj22mkm]
Oldwings are low in ground clearance ...and I always thought air assist shocks were a bad idea on such heavy bikes ...basically it can’t work unless the springs are weaker than they need to be so air can make a difference....most who dive into this deep seem to replace springs to stronger springs or completely new shocks and delete the air system ...progressive springs seem to be the most use in the forks ...

I've put progressive springs and shocks on a few bikes and generally happy. But that's was many years ago. Do you know of a good source for their products for our bikes?

Is there any info in the Owners manual? May get some tidbits from the '86 we have in the gallery.... gallery/album.php?album_id=1634

If anyone with the missing owners manuals would care to expand our library, much appreciated.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210542#p210542:b3sy92a2 said:
OldCrow » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 am[/url]":b3sy92a2]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210539#p210539:b3sy92a2 said:
joedrum » Today- 6:11[/url]":b3sy92a2]

I've put progressive springs and shocks on a few bikes and generally happy. But that's was many years ago. Do you know of a good source for their products for our bikes?

No i don’t old crow ..I’ve never had the funds to buy them yet ...but I’m in the same boat as you really need to on my bike ...I did the poor mans upgrade by putting in valves springs in on top of the old Honda springs on the front forks..and for sure need new rear shocks ...others here-might know good source and post in

Well, there's at least one alternative - don't get especially "spirited" aboard the 1200. I had a 1200 Aspy with floorboards and H/T controls. I absolutely loved it, but did observe constrained cornering. If I stayed in "old man mode", it was never a problem (and suited touring just fine).

...besides, I've been known to keep "other" mounts about for when the itch to be "spirited" pops up.

There is no fore/aft spec for the 1200s. Agree with pidjones - get rid of the floorboards. The best thing to do for these older GWs is to renew the suspension even with low mileage. Progressive fork springs work well, have had in an '85 LTD that I put back on the road last year and subsequently sold. For the rear would recommend non-air Progressive shocks. The 12 series dampers, with the 12 series HD springs - would go this route instead of buying the ready made Progressive shock. Will raise the bike about an inch. Have these on my '85 LTD and have rode two up for many trips around BC and from LA to Victoria - had to visit Dan, no bottoming, lots of clearance. I leave these on the stiffest setting at all times solo or two up. I have Race Tech front fork suspension in my '85 LTD, but would go with Progressive. If you upgrade the suspension you will be able to be "spirited" if you wish. You won't be disappointed with a suspension upgrade.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. My wife and I did a morning sortie out to Owl's Head Lighthouse and the beautiful harbor up here in ME. About 105miles with all the extra zigs and zags. New suspension is going to happen!! We bottomed out once and dragged something :eek: . And I WAS NOT hot rodding it. Also dragged the boards 3 or 4 times, kinda getting used to it.

I think I'd like to keep the air suspension if the springs were up to the task. Just hitting the Air compressor button is pretty sweet for switching from solo to dual and back road vs Super Slab.

Also I see the Trip meter does not agree with my Garmin. The Trip Meter is over 3% high and maybe worse the speedometer is about 9% faster than GPS speed of 60mph. Kinda sad since my '81 BMW's odo is only 0.9% high and the Speed is dead on.

Being the GL1200 is using a CPU to do all this fancy figuring, is there DIP switches, variable pot or some such thing to correct the counts? My days of Smokey and the Bear kinda riding is way behind me, now I'm more concerned with paying extra discretionary taxes. :thanks:

Air shocks are nice especially when you have to adjust them. Replaced the shocks on my 1500 with Progressive 416 airs. Quite an improvement over OEM. Having mentioned that you can get Progressive air shocks for the 1200. I believe the eye to eye dimension is 13.75 inch so the 14 inch eye to eye would be good, possibly the 416-1641A, but these are 14.25 inch eye to eye. The 416-1624A would work as well.

May be able to get new OEM springs for the air shocks, if not Progressive are good.

Putting new springs in the front is also a good time to clean out old oil and use new. I would replace the bushings and such then you know that the front is good for many more years.

Cheers

You've not had a 70's-80's-90's Honda, have you? They are ALL 5-10% optomistic. Some think it is to cheat you out of that much waranty. There are speedo-healers for some of the newer ones. Some go to a taller profile tire (that would help with scraping, too). Occasionally bottoming out on hard bumps isn't so bad, as long as it doesn't cause control loss.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210553#p210553:1nixmuvt said:
pidjones » Today- 16:03[/url]":1nixmuvt]
You've not had a 70's-80's-90's Honda, have you? They are ALL 5-10% optomistic. Some think it is to cheat you out of that much waranty. There are speedo-healers for some of the newer ones. Some go to a taller profile tire (that would help with scraping, too). Occasionally bottoming out on hard bumps isn't so bad, as long as it doesn't cause control loss.

HaHa, yes I did. Of my dozen bikes I had a 1983 Honda 650SC Nighthawk then a Honda VFR1000F 1984IIRC next a 1991 Honda Hawk NT650GT (Race/Street Bike) then just barely into the 2000s a 2001 GL1800A! I remember they were optimistic but I never had handle bar GPS(nor as anal retentive possibly) until that last one and it was pretty darn close as I recall. All my 70s bikes were Kawasaki and Yamaha and back then redline was the only speed I cared about.

Doesn't look like there's much room for a taller profile without a fender-ectomy up front :)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210552#p210552:2hr6gjgf said:
Rednaxs60 » Today- 15:40[/url]":2hr6gjgf]
Air shocks are nice especially when you have to adjust them. Replaced the shocks on my 1500 with Progressive 416 airs. Quite an improvement over OEM. Having mentioned that you can get Progressive air shocks for the 1200. I believe the eye to eye dimension is 13.75 inch so the 14 inch eye to eye would be good, possibly the 416-1641A, but these are 14.25 inch eye to eye. The 416-1624A would work as well.

May be able to get new OEM springs for the air shocks, if not Progressive are good.

Putting new springs in the front is also a good time to clean out old oil and use new. I would replace the bushings and such then you know that the front is good for many more years.

Cheers
Thanks great idea, I'll look into the Progressives.

Changed the fluid in the forks last week, luckily my brother-in-law came by and could help me muscle the caps back on.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210558#p210558:1uz8c7p2 said:
OldCrow » 39 minutes ago[/url]":1uz8c7p2]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210552#p210552:1uz8c7p2 said:
Rednaxs60 » Today- 15:40[/url]":1uz8c7p2]

Cheers
Thanks great idea, I'll look into the Progressives.

Changed the fluid in the forks last week, luckily my brother-in-law came by and could help me muscle the caps back on.

If you change to progressive fork springs, not as much of an issue, only 1 inch of preload (1 inch sticking out the top of the fork). Still gives better performance and ride.

I will venture that your rear springs are sagged. One of my tests is how hard is your bike to get on the centre stand. I had no problems riding in the states fully loaded getting my 81 onto it’s centre stand. After a while on our “beautiful “ roads and plenty of trips up the DD I was struggling to get onto my centre stand. A “new” set of progressive rear air shocks returned everything to normal, also makes it a lot harder to drag the pegs and centre stand when cornering. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210564#p210564:i9w0etc3 said:
Ansimp » Yesterday- 21:03[/url]":i9w0etc3]
I will venture that your rear springs are sagged. One of my tests is how hard is your bike to get on the centre stand. I had no problems riding in the states fully loaded getting my 81 onto it’s centre stand. After a while on our “beautiful “ roads and plenty of trips up the DD I was struggling to get onto my centre stand. A “new” set of progressive rear air shocks returned everything to normal, also makes it a lot harder to drag the pegs and centre stand when cornering. :yes:

:doh: , BINGO I think you nailed it. My DIsco Bike is a bear to get on the center stand. I just thought it was my creeping decrepitness. I have to do the clean and jerk to get it on and sometimes misses OldCrow has to help.

I've pretty much decided to put Progressive 00-1172 springs in the stock Honda air shocks.
Looks like I'll just need new oil seal 91257-MG9-671(1 ea shock) and a couple air line O-rings 91305-323-000 (1 ea shock).
Does this look right?
Any recommendations of suppliers?
A quick search and I see Babbits and Partzilla have the OE stuff and JPCycle has the springs. If no nays I'll be making an order but then off the SC Beaches for too long, but gotta keep misses OldCrow happy :)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210572#p210572:5bts8fd0 said:
OldCrow » Today, 1:57 am[/url]":5bts8fd0]
I've pretty much decided to put Progressive 00-1172 springs in the stock Honda air shocks.
Looks like I'll just need new oil seal 91257-MG9-671(1 ea shock) and a couple air line O-rings 91305-323-000 (1 ea shock).
Does this look right?
Any recommendations of suppliers?
A quick search and I see Babbits and Partzilla have the OE stuff and JPCycle has the springs. If no nays I'll be making an order but then off the SC Beaches for too long, but gotta keep misses OldCrow happy :)

You can get the oil seals from Honda, air o-rings from an hydraulic shop.

Latest posts