GL1200 Lost Its Battery Side Cover

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksigurdsen

Reaction score
I had the misfortune of loosing the left (battery) side cover from my 1984 Aspencade this weekend. Right side covers go for about $50 on eBay while the left side is about $200. This seemed to be the case from several sellers who had both sides. Am I correct to assume the demand for left side covers is 4X higher than rights? Are there more cases of lost lefts than rights? Just wondering. Thanks for your thoughts.

ksigurdsen":ca39h52l said:
Am I correct to assume the demand for left side covers is 4X higher than rights? Are there more cases of lost lefts than rights? Just wondering.
YES! And it's not just Goldwings, pretty much ANY motorcycle, the battery cover side is rarer and more expensive when you find one.

Not all sellers realize this, so bargains can be found, if you take your time.

The sad reality is that most time a parts bike can be found for less than just the cover. The question is, does the parts bike have the cover that would make the purchase worth it? A quick look at Searchtempest shows some in your area.

brianinpa":2fjalt1a said:
The sad reality is that most time a parts bike can be found for less than just the cover. The question is, does the parts bike have the cover that would make the purchase worth it?
This is true for a lot of the parts and is a great option if you have the space for a parts bike (or two, or three.....)

Just to emphasize, I acquired some parts last summer from a closing shop. For covers...

2 1000 right
10 1100 right
2 1100 left (both in poor shape)
1 1200 right

Who needs permission the manufacturer doesn't make them? Even if they did any minor change makes them a different product really.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140989#p140989:21sx8zhe said:
slabghost » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:21 pm[/url]":21sx8zhe]
Who needs permission the manufacturer doesn't make them? Even if they did any minor change makes them a different product really.
+1

It's really a very limited market unless you branch out to other older makes and models. If you are considering a side business it'd be money well spent to consult a lawyer.

So many wanted yet unavailable plastic parts, shelters, fenders, & buttons for horns. to name a few. But a pretty small market must be the reason, too bad. :roll:

Latest posts