GL1500 TIMING BELTS

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no I wouldn't until I learn all I could lean first ...but getting at them to see what condition there in ,,,and to see if they are tension right yes ...that id do ...after inspecting ..if there seems to be problem it can be addressed then ...as to what to do

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98275#p98275:1wvjv3j4 said:
detdrbuzzard » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:51 pm[/url]":1wvjv3j4]
how old and how many miles on your wing

+1

It's easier to get at the 1500 timing belt covers than the 1200's IMO, since you don't have to fool with the radiator. You just remove the three lower cowls sections, pull the warm air riser hose out of your way, remove about 10 bolts and slide the sections of the belt covers out their respective sides. I recently checked mine since I already had the plastic off to pull the carbs to replace gaskets (now, those carbs are a BITCH!, especially the reinstall!) Found the left side tensioner needed significant tightening and the right side a little. Know there's only 33,000 miles on them and they look fine, so I just closed it up. I'll replace them around 50K.

My Goldwing is an 89 Gl1500 Aspencade Trike Conversion with around 58K total miles on it. I sure wish my PO would have kept records.

I just changed my belts at 116,000 miles, they look original, lots of slack on the left side, I bought the Gates belts. On many cars its recommended to change belts at 30,000 miles, 50k at most. I treat the gl1500 like it was a Porsce engine.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98244#p98244:3le50d51 said:
dwgeo104 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:15 am[/url]":3le50d51]
How often should I change out my Timing Belt and would you recommend it for the averaage guy to try.

It can be complicated for most people, daunting and challenging to others. But for those that can get to carbs and then gets the bike back together again its no big deal. In short I actually do NOT recommend it for the average person, there are techniques involved that are more of a skilled "feel" and you just cannot get that "feel' over the internet. Make one small mistake like too tight of an idler, or skipping a tooth, or ripping the pre heater tubing to breaking a corroded cover bolt. At some point something will be mis aligned, forgotten or broken. A Goldwing is not a friendly DIY bike, at least from the GL1500 on anyway.

I changed out all 5 filters last week. I guess I could have pushed it and got the timing belt. Nobody said but "do I need to re-set the timing once the new belt is in place"?. Oh well - there's always "one more thing".

some people go by miles, as others go by years., some don't care, and end up in tears.. :shock:
The timing betls are the life of your engine....if they break....it's all over. I change them on every bike i get, no matter if they told me they just had it done last year. A piece of mind while riding is worth more than the worry. I would learn more about the process if your new to this, and you will find out all the do's and don'ts from the people here , and those freakin carbs.. :head bang: they are a b-tch to reinstall...I will tell you a secert...if you do pull that heat riser tube out...put some k-y jelly on it first, sometimes they are very tight in place, and slap some more back on it when your pulling it back in. I use it for a million things in my shop. Dries up fast and not greasy.

Latest posts