goldwing smoking gl1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have NO idea, what is wrong... it started dragging in every gear... feeling like no power... and tehn all of a sudden i saw white smoke.
have to go pick it up with trailer... but is the engine toast?
[video]https://youtu.be/1m-oSibq3XM[/video]

i don't know if i did this right for the video.... but i tried.

it sounds rough.. and doesn't sound like it did yesterday...

(inserted video-aapple)

White smoke - steam - coolant - blown head gasket. Sorry, dude! At least it's not a tough job, but still not one you were lookin' forward to doing. The engine should be just fine with new gaskets.

Get someone to check the cylinder head mating surface for flatness otherwise the next gasket could go the same way. Agree with above - post number 2 - do both gaskets at the same time. Better to do them now than find the other needs changing a few miles down the road.

Thanks all, yes smells like coolant big time.... and yes.. consensus says head gasket :Awe: :head bang:
buddy who helped me pick it up said the same as you all and that it isnt a hard job..
so i asked how much it would cost me.. he said if we do it.. prob 150.00 if a shop does it prob $300.00
i said great, he said i could do it myself then it would be cheaper... i said how... he said well if you do it prob. 75.00 if we do it together then about 150.00
i said to him... ok, i can pay you 75.00 to do it.. and he told me he doesn't take money from friends to help out... i said then i don't get it..
he said 75.00 parts.... 75.00 for the beer as we are doing the job.... BWAHHAHAHAHAH :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

BUT can't do it for at least 3 weeks.... :sensored: do looks like i will just be reading on this site and learning for awhile...

question though... why do head gaskets go? did i not check somehting that i should have... etc...?

With some bikes the head gaskets last 100`s of thousands of miles , others seem to let rip at 20k . No one knows why . Fate decrees that your time is nigh . My only bit of advice to you and your buddy is to make sure you get the timing correct upon reassembly , even one tooth out can be disastrous and highly expensive. While at it budget for new cam belts and change them. Ask any old hand and they will tell you what could happen if the belts go kaput . Mine went on my previous wing and destroyed the motor ( piston smashed , bent rod, badly scored bores , head damaged ) need I elaborate .

I have found that if bike sits long time head gaskets get trashed by antifreeze comtaminating them ...and a lot go right after running again ...gaskets are weaken by the antifreeze ...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89677#p89677:30t1gif8 said:
joedrum » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:22 am[/url]":30t1gif8]
I have found that if bike sits long time head gaskets get trashed by antifreeze comtaminating them ...and a lot go right after running again ...gaskets are weaken by the antifreeze ...
Intresting.

Wonder why that would be, coolant eats away at it?

I agree with Joe on this. I have seen it in marine engines that have sat for a long time too! It is my understanding that the coolant loses it's anti-corrosive properties during normal running (hence the reason we have to change it out per the maintenance schedule) and actually becomes a corrosive when it sits penetrating into the gaskets and seals. (Ever open up a radiator after it has been full of coolant that sat for 10 years?) There are a lot of dissimilar metals in the system of an aluminum engine and the metal in the head gasket is no different.

The coolant can act like a conductor allowing the corrosion between dissimilar metals to take place. Again, this is only if the bike has been sitting stationary for a long time (years) and the coolant is old and has lost it's anti-corrosive properties. Bring the engine back to life and there is a potential risk the head gaskets may have started weakening from corrosion. They may be ok, but after sitting, they are just as much a risk as old rubber and timing belts.

I have found that sitting around without coolant makes them fail after a fairly short time. We get a lot of Jap import engines from wreckers in Japan to be used in older import cars here in Oz that seem to be probe to head gasket failure. If the engine is brought in as a half cut ( whole front section of the car with everything left intact) we don't seem to get the same problem.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89675#p89675:2k0q0m03 said:
David Mantle » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:13 am[/url]":2k0q0m03]
With some bikes the head gaskets last 100`s of thousands of miles , others seem to let rip at 20k . No one knows why . Fate decrees that your time is nigh . My only bit of advice to you and your buddy is to make sure you get the timing correct upon reassembly , even one tooth out can be disastrous and highly expensive. While at it budget for new cam belts and change them. Ask any old hand and they will tell you what could happen if the belts go kaput . Mine went on my previous wing and destroyed the motor ( piston smashed , bent rod, badly scored bores , head damaged ) need I elaborate .

sorry.. lost internet at home. Tehy are coming out tomorrow... uhg. anyway, i am a little confused now :headscratch: . what do you mean 'get timing correct'? i was told it is only a gasket.... take off all the bolts clean up the area really good, put the new gasket on, and then torque to specs.. what is this timing you are mentioning? Do i have to mess with the Cams? and a timing chain?

Yes, in front of the heads are 2 covers housing 2 timing belts that turn the overhead cams.
When pulling the heads those 2 belts need to come off. Timing them properly during assembly is what David is referring to.

Relax. Its not as difficult as it sounds. Been several head gasket replacements here recently to read over and the procedure is in the manual.

thanks all. My buddy will not be able to assist me for at least 2 months. He has alot of his weekends tied up through Sept. :( so... i will take the advice and read up on #2, and #3, and will try tackeling this thing by myself. however, i too have grad parties (my sons) next weekend, and a tourney this weekend. so lots of time to read up on this procedure :laptop: . still though... :beg: :shock:

Latest posts