Got rid of my thermostat and couldnt be happier!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey66

Reaction score
After having all sorts of weird cooling system problems,I rememberd someone(joedrum I think) writing that he does not run a thermostat and I thought I`d pull mine out and see if maybe that was the problem.Well, it aint goin back in! Havent had a problem since.Runs just fine without it.Takes a little longer for the water to get up to temp,but I can live with that.

Well as far as masking other problems;My waterpump is new,radiator and block flushed,checked the thermostat and it appered to work(in a pot of water on the stove),but still it would pump water into the expansion tank.I`d have to pull the false tank and then pour the water in the expan.tank back into the radiator once a week cause it wouldnt suck back in by itself.

well theres no doutb in my mind that this is better than having one ....all my bikes are set up this way as it keeps the motor temp more consistant and in this weather it just makes no sense to run hotter ...i dont think it masks anything thats realy wrong it just makes them run cooler period ...to me thats reason enough :mrgreen:

thats right;the temp stays constant.used to wander up and down in traffic then the fan would cut on and as soon as you start riding it would go off and the temp would fall;normal really.But now it gets warm and STAYS at that temp no matter what,fan never comes on now.I was alittle afraid I would be running too cold BUT I have an oil temp gauge and it says all is well.Still has the same oil temp (80°C) wenn the motor is at oper.temp.

Smokey66":39zxv7se said:
Well as far as masking other problems;My waterpump is new,radiator and block flushed,checked the thermostat and it appered to work(in a pot of water on the stove),but still it would pump water into the expansion tank.I`d have to pull the false tank and then pour the water in the expan.tank back into the radiator once a week cause it wouldnt suck back in by itself.

Classic blown head gasket symptom.

you think?I thought of that too but with the stat out no prob;OH could be that without the thermostat their is less pressure in the system and the head gasket dont leak...........like you said....masking......WELL I wont sleep tonight,thanks Dan.

I don't claim to know everything, often I learn something and find out I was wrong but when it comes to these flat 4 bikes I have A lot of experience in this area.
The symptoms you describe, if you have a good working radiator cap and all other components are working properly, tell me leaking head gasket.
Does the coolant draw back into the radiator now with the tstat removed?

Might be even simpler than that! Check inside the expansion tank and see if the fitting is cracked or not reaching the hose. Mine did the same thing until I realized the fitting cracked (from age) and it could not suck water back into the radiator. (Have to take the false tank off to check)

yeah now it works perfect.I`d thought of the head gasket too but compresion test,hot and cold was fine.Plugs look all the same,no white smoke.Thermostat may have just bean sticking.I`ve been running like this for the last 3 months,no coolant loss and the level in the expansion tank stays within the marks,so I think its good.

Like others have already said,a proper system needs all its parts.If it is better without you are simply addressing the symtom not the problem.
The purpose for the stat isnt just to warm up the bike quicker,but to also hold to coolant in the radiator long enough to cool down.Pulling the stat is a cure for a bad stat,not a reengineering of the system for the better."THE MAN" is not trying to trick you into a conspiracy of forcing you into useing a stat,its your choice.But it is there for a reason and its not emisions.

I still have a stat,accually a replacement,and my bike runs cooler than most.The ride down to Mid Ohio last week in 100 plus degree heat and never over mid guage.

I have had your same issue and the head gasket was the culprit.Do a cumbustion leak test to confirm.

Pulled my stat out a week ago thinking it was the cause to all my overheating problem then found some site about the fan turning the wrong way. Sure enough that was my problem. Now my bike runs a half in town and a notch above half on the highway. At all times. Not bad but Stat is going back in but looking at ordering an OEM one. Don't trust these aftermarket ones. Thinking my temp reading will be better once the stat is back in it's place.

quennc":28po949a said:
Now my bike runs a half in town and a notch above half on the highway. At all times.

A stat can actually make an engine run cooler since it will slow the coolant flow giving it enough time to soak up heat from the engine and enough time in the radiator to release that heat.

Not enough ram air to and through the radiator will cause higher temps at higher speed also.
Running without the radiator air deflectors will make it run hotter since these are designed to catch and channel air to the radiator.
The Standard model air deflectors are excellent for this.
The Interstate and Aspi models have small deflectors designed into the fairing lowers but they are not anywhere near as effective.
I run the Interstate lowers and the Standards model air deflectors. Even in 100+ temps at speed pulling a grade it will run at beginning of the thick bar.

The 84 1200 I worked on, took 6 months to find a cracked head in an exhaust port.
Once repaired it would run about 1/2 pulling a sidecar.
After I fitted it with the larger 1100 radiator and put the early Standards deflectors on it runs at beginning of the thick bar also.