Greetings from the Land Beyond O'Hare

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Greetings fellow wing nuts, I hail from the burbs of Chicago. I'm here looking for advice and parts to get my new-to-me Gold Wing back on the road.

My riding career was interrupted by life, jobs and my other hobby, sailing (just like riding, but MUCH slower). I used to work at local Honda shops, and graduated to instructor for a Kawasaki distributor in Michigan and as a Suzuki Factory Technical Advisor on the east coast.

As an example of karma, last year I gave my brother my 1982 Suzuki GS750 in my garage so he could ride in Patriot Riders parades. In January, a buddy told of a friend that had a Gold Wing that he crashed and wanted to sell cheap. I wasn't in the market at the time, but thought "what the heck." She started right up, had a knocking in the swing arm that the PO said was in the transmission, so I took a chance and rode her home. :moped:

She's a 1987 1200 Interstate. She was rear ended by a car and slid down the road, scraping the right side. The bags and trunk are cracked through their mounting holes. She has 167,585 miles on her and was "rode hard and put up wet". But she starts every time, with no smoke after the choke is opened.

I removed the bags, rear wheel and swing arm and found the knocking noise was a bad u-joint. Now I need the u-joint and the rubber boot that disintegrated when removed. The bike also needs shocks, whose oil is all over the rear of the bike, a left (battery) side cover, a right fairing pocket cover, and an antenna that the PO says fell off one day?

I have been searching eBay and looking for salvage yards, which is how I found this forum. I imagine there aren't too many new parts available from the factory for a 28 year old bike, but there are a bazillion Gold Wings out there, both dead and alive.

I can fix the mechanical issues, but I'm no body man. My first question is how to repair the cracked luggage? Super glue, fiberglass, plastic welding, or bigger washers on the bolts?

Thanx for the help, and hope to see you on the road.

well abs black pvc glue well glue plastic together ... the black mess tape work good ..as dose plastic shaving from black pvc pipe nkes good thick filler to work with ...id say bolt it up and in place and patch it up it will dry and be harden perfectly in place....u joint on ebay ...1200 is the only one that will work 1500 looks the same but not ...also check wheel for side to side play ..its a weak spot on 1200s ...one in rear end wrecks for sure might get compromised ..with rear wheel off ground should be easy to see if theres a problem there

Thanx, Joe. I searched the forums, but didn't find any suggestions.

PVC plumbing glue? That should be simple. There is no missing plastic, just cracks.

Is the rear wheel play caused by loose swing arm bearings?

Thanx for the help.

could be that a problem too with wreck in rear ...but no i was talking wheel itself ...for some reason thers only one bearing in the 1200 wheel itself all other oldwings have two ...just make sure you get abs blacl plastic pvc glue ace hardware has it im thinking ...lots of places sale combo glue that not the right stuff

Yes, ABS glue, not PVC. Got it.

Thanx for the links to your repairs, Brian. The Vetter fairing turned out great.
I have done fiberglass repairs on my sailboat, so I have plenty of leftover glass mat.

Thanx for all the help, guys. Now I will be able to salvage the bags and trunk.

Latest posts