Has anyone modified the Cable clutch lever Arm Length to provide a lighter pull

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
I have a 83' GL1100 that I have been thinking,

if I were to mod the clutch lever arm to make it about .750" to 1.50" Longer.

A Modified arm making it a longer lever, seems it would lighten the pull force some.

The cable hold bracket may have to also be modified.

Has this been done already, I would love to hear someone's success in regards to this, and maybe see some pictures.

My last resort would be a 84' Hyd. Mod.

But I want a significantly lighter clutch pull

I haven't done or seen this done but I would think since what a longer lever is doing is increasing leverage, which in turn would mean the lever travel would have to be longer in order to pull the cable far enough.
Wouldn't a longer pull move the lever too far from the grip?
I'd have to think on it more.

Fyi, the 83 clutch pull force is much easier than the earlier years.
Lubing my cable helped a lot.

To bad there isn't a foot clutch lever (on the Wing) to the rear of the foot brake behind the foot peg.

Or better yet make a hand shifter (A long shift lever) foot clutch on the left right approx. where the old shift lever used to be.

2 year's ago, on my 83' GL1100I converted to naked.

I put in all new clutch parts, including new OEM springs, and a New Clutch Cable too!

Seems to be much harder to pull than my 86' GL1200 with Hyd. clutch.

Maybe a cable routing sheet too!

I pretty sure i have the clutch cable routed correctly, but you never no.

wilcoy02":3hycdv6l said:
Hey Dan, How about a pic tutorial on lubing cables--clutch--brake--speedomter--I need to do it but never knew a proper way to do it.
Well my methods usually aren't the proper way to do it, mostly I make due with the cheapest way possible available to me.

Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear you are in bad shape, but glad to be here and see your reply.

My clutch cable is made by Parts Unlimited, it just feels like the lever pull is a little to stiff for me.

I would like to get it to compare in lever pull with my 86' GL12 hyd. clutch as that is more comfortable.

I put in the clutch and new springs.

I put in all OEM honda parts.

The Clutch pull was heavy before I pulled the engine and installed the new one.

My 82' was a bear to pull (and I was just accepting that was the way it was never having a Goldwing before). Turned out my cable was binding on the frame and had chafed through the casing letting water in. Pulled the cable, replaced it and re-routed and now it is real easy......no clutch change or anything else.

There is a thread I read about converting to using a hydraulic clutch using new parts. If I remember.......(don't count on it).......the hydraulic unit is from motorcross bikes.

Pulling in the clutch on mine has never been a real problem as it had been going on for so long that I kind've knew what the problem was, and I've used the same cable since day 1, 12 years ago and never have oiled it, I believe that always having the rubber boots on the ends is responsible for that, (now watch it go and break next week).

The biggest problem I ever had with clutch operation was letting it out, for years, if I didn't give it a good handfull of throttle the whole motor would sound really bad when pulling away from a dead stop, turned out to be primary chain slap which was cured immediately after I watched Dans youtube vid's on how to sync' your carbs properly, information not available anywhere else on the net at the time, and perhaps to date.

My point in all this is to say that I believe that the level of anticipation as to how you are going to mistreat your engine when pulling away, causes an equal and opposite reaction in concern when pulling the clutch in and therefore makes it difficult, and a stiff hand to boot, all I really know is that, it's really sweet now!

My 82 was the same way.Got a new cable and rerouted it to run outside the right upper rear engine bracket instead of under it as it is orignaly.MUCH easier now.It was pinched under that bracket for years and it eventually rubbed through the sheathing.Still a stiff pull in comparison to other bikes though.

joedrum":284ue120 said:
only to adjust lever right at its cam over spot gives the best pull

Hey Joe,

I am not sure I follow you, "Adjust at the Cam over spot for best pull" ?