Hello "New" 1975 GL1000 CA-CO

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstengel

Reaction score
I have had only one Goldwing and that's the red 1975 I bought in 1975. Vetter fairing and Bates bags since then. I have been driving or dragging it around since then. I've ridden it cross-country and up through Canada a few times. It's got about 68,000 miles on it now. Today I'm in San Diego where I originally bought it. I recently moved to Louisville, CO and after leaving the bike in storage down here for eight months I have flooding carbs. Just rebuilt them in 2011 and it was running great until this recent storage period which began in December last year. So, what to do? I wish I could drive it to CO but I moved all my tools up there already. Any ideas? Anybody going that way? Anybody else need me to drive your stuff with my bike from San Diego to the Denver area in your vehicle? I got a quote for about $400 to ship it. I am also thinking about pulling the carbs off here in San Diego with tools I might borrow this week. Anyhow, my son's graduation from the Marine SOI went well yesterday. Which was the other reason I came back to San Diego. I kinda wish he and I were working on this thing together today.
:thanks:

Hello and welcome to CGW. I would try shutting the fuel petcock off and running it out of fuel. When it goes to sputtering, open the throttle and run it as high rpm as your comfortable with until it dies. Then open the petcock, crank and see if it floods. Sometimes the vacuum created by this will unstick the floats. Then fill up the fuel tank with fresh gas and 8 oz. of automatic trans fluid. And drive it like you own it.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Agree with backlander! Bike has been sitting that long. Should clear up by running carbs dry, tap them to loosen the floats and then refill. Run down the road and while in 2nd gear, wind out to 6500 RPM and let the throttle snap back a few times which will create a strong vacuum.

Well Mike Nixon is down that way, he is a GL carb expert you can google him(that didnt sound right)
I have heard of people filling the floats and then shut off the petcock , start it up and run it till it is starving for fuel then open it up a few seconds and then continue doing that till the floats are flushed out with fresh fuel. In a desparate case I might turn the fuel off run them dry then disconnect the fuel line at the carbs, hook up 3 or so feet of fuel line and fill a 50/50 mixture of seafoam and fuel, The carbs take about 50cc of fuel each so no more then 200cc (or 7oz)of fuel through the funnel then re-connect the fuel line, clean up any fuel that spilled and run it. Can be repeated if needed.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93569#p93569:29iq9mbp said:
joedrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 am[/url]":29iq9mbp]
welcome to classic ... oh the the carb attended carbs ..there so crankless when givin a chance to sit and make like junk
:headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93574#p93574:t8u1b7k6 said:
dan filipi » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:45 pm[/url]":t8u1b7k6]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93569#p93569:t8u1b7k6 said:
joedrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 am[/url]":t8u1b7k6]
welcome to classic ... oh the the carb attended carbs ..there so crankless when givin a chance to sit and make like junk
:headscratch:
I know what Joe meant........he meant that.......well he meant............Joe, what did you mean here? :smilie_happy: (Sorry, I know you are having a tough time!)

mcgovern61":ajtlkdid said:
Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Agree with backlander! Bike has been sitting that long. Should clear up by running carbs dry, tap them to loosen the floats and then refill. Run down the road and while in 2nd gear, wind out to 6500 RPM and let the throttle snap back a few times which will create a strong vacuum.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93565#p93565:ajtlkdid said:
backlander » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:21 pm[/url]":ajtlkdid]
Hello and welcome to CGW. I would try shutting the fuel petcock off and running it out of fuel. When it goes to sputtering, open the throttle and run it as high rpm as your comfortable with until it dies. Then open the petcock, crank and see if it floods. Sometimes the vacuum created by this will unstick the floats. Then fill up the fuel tank with fresh gas and 8 oz. of automatic trans fluid. And drive it like you own it.
Good advice there. Especially chopping the throttle and coast a few times to force the atf fuel mix through the low speed jets.
Welcome back to the fun.

Welcome from Oz and LA atm. I am a recent ATF convert and I swear on my recent trip of abuse ( both me and the bike) that the Rats Nest really felt smooth with ATF in her tank, 91 may of helped as Kim and I shared fillups as the Road King needed 91.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I'm back on the road without any flooding using the ATF and throttle snapping methods. Which forum should I take future ATF conversation to?

Joe, loved the poetry.

Latest posts