Hibernating 1982 GL1100 gets a little attention

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the GL1100 in June, with a rusty tank. After researching ways to get rid of the rust I chose the vinegar method. I bought 6 gallons of dollar store vinegar and filled the tank for a week. Most of the rust sluffed off and I could, after draining the tank, vacuum it out...most of it. There is some big flakes I noticed in the right hand aft part of the tank i could not get to easily so I have to go back after it.

Caution, make a cap for where the sending unit goes. The vinegar will eat that float and arm up and sending units are hard to come by. Also be careful not to mash the screens on the fuel pick up tubes when vacuuming the rust out.
On my 1986 Kawasaki I used muratc acid and rinsed with a few gallons of water followed by car wash soap then water, rather more drastic and hazardous but quick. In the past I went with the Kreem kit but the white liner always seemed to lift as time passed so on this bike I gave POR-15 sealer a try, it is holding up a year later. Dries to a hard silvery paint type finish.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B3I2NWG

Thanks for the suggestions and input, fellas. After a bit of deliberation, I have decided to proceed one step at a time and will remove and clean/rebuild the carbs as necessary. If the bike starts and runs decently then I will proceed to the next step which will probably be timing belts and then I will address the gas tank. At least at that point the bike will be a known commodity and I won't be throwing good money at a lost cause.

My wife and I are going to be out of town for the next month or so and my shop is not heated yet so this won't happen quickly but I'm going to try to get the carbs removed before we leave and I can work on them in the basement upon our return. I already have a pair of BMW airhead Bings that I'm rebuilding this winter so I can just add these to them!

On a side note, I stumbled across a video of a Goldwing with a single carb conversion and it looked interesting.

Last edited:
Sorry about my rude post earlier I have a soft spot for vintage motorcycles, especially Hondas. I wish I had my 1976 CB750 Supersport back, checked prices on eBay motors the other day WOW ☹️

Sorry about my rude post earlier I have a soft spot for vintage motorcycles, especially Hondas. I wish I had my 1976 CB750 Supersport back, checked prices on eBay motors the other day WOW ☹️
No worries buddy.

We've all had bikes that we wish we had kept.

Latest posts