How long can you ride your Wing?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
I recently bought an 82 Goldwing Interstate for $300 and I got it running and have been riding the wheels off it. This weekend I took it for a long ride, about 800 miles. I was talking to my co-worker and he rides a Shadow, said he could not ride his bike that far and that long. He said he was jealous. It got me wondering how long you all can ride your Wings? I have spent 12 hours on it in one day, 15 hour day total with gas and food stops. This weekend I did about 11-12 on Saturday. I felt tired but not sore.
I love this old Goldwing, I packed all my gear for camping on the bike and took off.
How long do you ride?

I hope to go on a long ride on my new bike soon. I was a bit uncomfortable on my son in laws bike just making the 280+ mile(4 hours) ride home with it from Resida Ca. back to Vegas. The seat is stock with the roundish hump. I have the same bike but I'm sure I could ride much longer in comfort because the seat is custom made with a concave saddle. The real problem I have is with my hands, they can go numb after 45 mins to an hour and once this starts I have to stop every hour. Sometimes I can ride for hours with almost no numbness, but this seems to be locally like my trip to the dam the other day. Thick or thin grips make no difference, if anything ends my riding days it'll be my damn hands.

~O~

I have done around 660 miles in 11 hours once and it was rough the next day: it took a while to recuperate from the muscle aches. Putting the 1,600 + on over this past weekend was different though because we didn't ride more than 450 miles in one day and it is easier to rebound from that distance.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91908#p91908:1bdo4gtd said:
Omega Man » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 pm[/url]":1bdo4gtd]
I hope to go on a long ride on my new bike soon. I was a bit uncomfortable on my son in laws bike just making the 280+ mile(4 hours) ride home with it from Resida Ca. back to Vegas. The seat is stock with the roundish hump. I have the same bike but I'm sure I could ride much longer in comfort because the seat is custom made with a concave saddle. The real problem I have is with my hands, they can go numb after 45 mins to an hour and once this starts I have to stop every hour. Sometimes I can ride for hours with almost no numbness, but this seems to be locally like my trip to the dam the other day. Thick or thin grips make no difference, if anything ends my riding days it'll be my damn hands.

~O~
~O~, do you use a cramp buster on your throttle? If not, you have to get one......I guarantee it will end your numbness!

Distance I can ride has a lot to do with the riding conditions but even under good riding conditions I'm pretty done for the day around 8 hours. Keeping it to 8 then I'm not beat up and don't get sore.

The longest day I've ever done was to last years meet on slab's KZ 750. That was about +14 hours.
By midnight the road lines were becoming hard for me to stay in between of.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91938#p91938:1fsgv52t said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:48 am[/url]":1fsgv52t]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91908#p91908:1fsgv52t said:
Omega Man » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 pm[/url]":1fsgv52t]

~O~
~O~, do you use a cramp buster on your throttle? If not, you have to get one......I guarantee it will end your numbness!
Thanks for the input Gerry. I have one now but have yet to need to use it. I'm sure it will help.

~O~

I have ridden 550 miles in a day a couple of times. This was really too much for me. I do not believe that I was really as alert as I should have been during the last 50 miles or so both times. From now on, I will try to limit myself to 500 miles in a day for safety's sake. When I was younger, I probably could have done more miles per day safely.

I found my throttle lock to be a big help. It lets me lock it and then shake and stretch my hand. I also have Hwy pegs, so I can put my feet on those or I put the on the top of the crash bars. So with three positions for my feet it helps too. I want to do the SS1000 next year. I am getting a feel for the bike and I think I can do it. I will do it with a group.

Last Aug. My son and I road to Oregon (650mls) took 13 hrs with brakes. Rode double on the 1100. Took turns driving. The return trip was much better as I brought back the 1500. made a 2 dayer out of it. stopped at 400mls and stayed in Motel overnight. I think 400 is a good daus run for me.

milage may vary. some days i want to get off the bike after only 100 miles. last friday when i got to joes i had 450 miles and felt fine. i left saturday for new albany then headed home and felt really beat with 565 miles. i was down at the flight 93 crash memorial the week before the anniversery and ended up on rt 250 going through pa. picked up the toll road in bedford. had lunch in sommerset which added about an hour on the trip. took the toll rd. back to I-75 and home. don't remember how much time it took or the milage but. i remember getting home at midnite and wanting to go takea ride throught the park to see who was there but i didn't feel beat just happyto be home and out of the rain

I still Remember them 800 mile days , but yes.........a good Seat helps , :smilie_happy: as a matter of Fact , I'm making my New Seat AS WE Speak . :builder:

rode 600+ miles.. the plus is just a few miles over.... but took about 15 hours.. heat and the couple we were riding with had fuel issues.. both of us pulling trailers.... haven't done much riding since.. had complete shoulder replaced... just now getting back on the rides... the 11 needs brake overhaul times 3...(complete) and 12 is waiting for partial harness to arrive..

Latest posts