How should I feel about this?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting the bike ready for our journey.
Changed oil and filter
Replaced refurbished rear shocks
Changed the gear oil in the pumpkin ball
New rear bearings
New rear tire.

NOW WHAT DO I DO?
I had the rear tire changed at a shop 2 months ago on my spare rim.

I cleaned the garage floor and area to tear the bike apart and do all the above.
I had the rear tire in place but not axled.
I see this silver tube. I looked at the tire that came off the bike -looked good
Took the rear tire back off the bike--looked good.

I buttoned up all the loose ends and took it for a spin. Rode beautifully.

So how would you feel seeing this piece left over, to go 9,000 miles?

extra piece 001.JPG

extra piece 002.JPG

No it can not be from another machine. That is why I clear the garage floor. To see what parts are still on the floor.

The only thing I believe it could be is the spacer inside the wheel. But it would not come out or in as the wheel bearings have to be taken out for it to come out. I do not do bearings that is why I took it to a shop. for the tire replacement and bearings replaced.

I doubled checked the wheel and that spacer is in the wheel.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151602#p151602:q29ac0ug said:
joedrum » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:58 pm[/url]":q29ac0ug]
its the spacer insode the final drive it must have come out ...put it back wes ..its not left over material :nea: :hihihi:
+1 It slides into the final drive, and is a spacer between the outer drive case and the inner wheel bearing hub. The axle goes through it. Without it, you will have side-to-side wheel movement. Or, if the axle nut is over-tightened, the swingarm will distort, and the clearance between the wheel hub and final drive will be too tight. Put it in!

Thank You all.
I was not comfortable going on a trip of this magnitude with a big piece left over. I had no idea where it came from. I try to look at things when I tear stuff apart but this time my mind is on the ride not fixing it.

Somehow I knew you all would steer me in the right direction.

I got up this am and tore it all back down and put that piece in. I have it assembled now. Only thing left is to reinstall the tow bar AGAIN. Thanks AAple for the diagram it tells me I put it in the right place.

THANKS AGAIN for keeping me out of trouble.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151648#p151648:2to6vkd3 said:
wilcoy02 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:31 am[/url]":2to6vkd3]
Thank You all.
I was not comfortable going on a trip of this magnitude with a big piece left over. I had no idea where it came from. I try to look at things when I tear stuff apart but this time my mind is on the ride not fixing it.

I got up this am and tore it all back down and put that piece in. I have it assembled now. Only thing left is to reinstall the tow bar AGAIN. Thanks AAple for the diagram it tells me I put it in the right place.

:good: :music: :moped: :yahoo:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151648#p151648:2ow0hfyx said:
wilcoy02 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:31 pm[/url]":2ow0hfyx]
Thank You all.

This is exactly one of the reasons Dan started this community what 7-8 years ago? Awesome. :hi:

~O~

I have just done this exact same thing. Just to be clear when I pull the rear tire off again it will just slide into the final drive? Thanks

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170883#p170883:2dkfkj3w said:
mlmaher » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:41 pm[/url]":2dkfkj3w]
I have just done this exact same thing. Just to be clear when I pull the rear tire off again it will just slide into the final drive? Thanks

Welcome to the club! There are already several members... :smilie_happy:

To answer your question, yes pull the wheel and slide the pipe into the final drive.

Oh yeah! Welcome to Classics!

I'm a club member too, freaked me out not remembering taking it out and finding it lying on the floor.

Latest posts