How to remove front brake reservoir

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingbeemer

Reaction score
My 82 Interstate, the front brake reservoir is leaking. I have a new kit, but what is the trick to remove the white reservoir? I tried pulling but was afraid of braking something.

Welcome to the site wingbeemer! :clapping:

The trick is, after the bolts are out of the cover and all of the fluid is drained, gently push a flat head screw driver under the white resevoir while twisting the resevoir. They really don't like to come off, it is the o-ring underneath that really hold them into the lip. Gently!

Go to the Target out there in Mesa (my sister works there...job security and all that) and get yourself one of these:

9n1 tool.jpg

Try to get a thick one though. The inexpensive ones might flex too much. Just slide the half moon shaped part underneath the reservoir (after you have removed all the aforementioned screws) and pop it right off.

Is that the official, Honda approved, special tool # BR549, for brake reservoir removal? :builder:

The reservoir on mine looks like it could crumble, and fall to the ground at any time. I'd be a-skeered to pry on it, without a replacement handy. It don't leak, tho!
Is there a source for replacement reservoirs...just in case? :headscratch:

AApple":1opv5sfz said:
Is that the official, Honda approved, special tool # BR549, for brake reservoir removal? :builder:

The reservoir on mine looks like it could crumble, and fall to the ground at any time. I'd be a-skeered to pry on it, without a replacement handy. It don't leak, tho!
Is there a source for replacement reservoirs...just in case? :headscratch:

I orderec a new one because mine looked kinda cracked and sun beaten. Boy was I surprised when I found out how tough that little sucker is. We fought, but the chisel won. (No damage mind you to the resevoir) When I got it off I realized it was probably OK, but I changed it out anyway.

Latest posts