How to repair a small crack in a side cover.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150jim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled the side cover off my GL1500 for two reasons. One, to check the oil (going for a ride later) & two because the side cover has a crack in it.
IMAG0095.jpg

I'm not sure what they tried to repair it with but it looks like chewing gum.
IMAG0096.jpg

I peeled it up with a small screwdriver to remove it.
IMAG0097.jpg

Then cleaned it with my pocket knife and cleaned it with M.E.K.
IMAG0100.jpg

Then I applied Q-Bond.
IMAG0101 c.jpg

And here you can see me holding the side cover just by the corner after just a minute of drying time.
IMAG0103.jpg

Now I just need the same paint to fill in & it will be done.
IMAG0104.jpg

Not sure what q bond is but simple ABS plumbers cement the black stuff forms a chemical bond and is the "glue" of choice for Honda plastics. I use a toothpick to hold the crack open a bit wipe the Abs cement on pull the toothpick, clean up the outside of the piece and add a little more on the inside to support the fix.

abs black is getting harder and harder to find. But it is the best stuff for repairs. Good to know there is another product out there that will work.
Thanks for the pics

I use Q-bond all the time. Fixed several cracks in the fairing, and other spots. It's good stuff, and dries quick. You can sand or grind on it in a matter of minutes. Last time the bike fell over onto the car, it busted the crap outta the right side saddlebag lid....popped the rear latch clean off where it hung up on the car bumper. A little sanding/grinding, and some Q-bond, and it's good as new. Lid latches down tight, and I was afraid the Q-bond might not hold, so I cut a strip of steel to rivet on to support the broken spot, but I never needed it....the Q-bond is holding it all together quite nicely. :good:
I've repaired a lot of other stuff using it, too. I'm a fan. :yes:

Make your own abs black with pieces of abs pipe shavings and acetone. I keep some in a red plastic ketchup bottle with a squeeze top. Stick a nail in when done and it's good for a long time. When it gets too thick, just add acetone. The only advice to application that I'd add is not to try and put it on too thick, and make sure it dries thoroughly between applications. It can harden on the outside skin enough to trap gas in the middle and when it gets warm, it turns into a mini-volcano on you. A heat gun or warm conditions are best.