Howdy from MN

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasvorto

Reaction score
I bought a 1982 Interstate last fall. The weather turned cold before I got much riding in. It was only a 110 mile ride home. The spring here has been very wet. It is finally turning summer, so it is now my commuter vehicle (my Dodge Ram 1500 is a gas drinker).

This is not my 1st wing. I had a 1981 Standard about 20 years ago. Just a few years ago I was given a GL1100 that had sat in a barn for a few years. I got it running, but that's all. I wound up giving it to my brother who has some GW mechanic friends.

I am hoping to do do Route 66 next year. Unfortunately I will only have 2 weeks for the trip. My buddy will be riding an almost new Ultra Glide. The plan right now is to ride to Chicago (5 hours from here) and turn right. Once we reach LA, we will come back via Seattle through Montana. I am expecting 10 hour days in the saddle. I did a 3 day run like that on a Honda Shadow 750 years ago. I wasn't sure I would ever be able to walk again. :grin:

Has anyone done 66? How long did it take you?

I forgot. The bike has only 22,000 miles on it. I paid $2400 for it. I will post some pictures tonight.

welcome sounds like a nice bike i hope your planing on some down time for the ultra i dont think it can keep up with the 30 yr old wing without breaking down

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :builder: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Between my 1st wing and this one, I have gone through a Suzuki KZ750, a Honda Shadow 750, a 1980 Harley Electra Glide (shovelhead) (it broke down in the mountains at Sturgis), a Honda CB750K, and a 2001 Harley Fatboy (really liked that bike, but way too expensive for the short summers here). Talk about being all over the spectrum, eh.

As an aside, short of using a vice grip (which I did on the CB750K) is there a good way to keep the choke cable "pulled". If I let go, it slides right back down.

Welcome to the CGW forums, pasvorto!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Ain't much of the "original" Rt. 66 left... :crying:

pasvorto":39czivwo said:
As an aside, short of using a vice grip (which I did on the CB750K) is there a good way to keep the choke cable "pulled". If I let go, it slides right back down.
Welcome from New Jersey! :clapping:
The choke cable has a nut right at the handlebars. Tighten and the cable will not slide riight back in.

Route 66? I'd love that trip!

Thanks. Someday, when I get ambitious, I will try to add it to my signature and avatar.

Latest posts