Hydraulic clutch not working

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
Decided to ride Red (CBR1000f) to Springwood for a coffee with the VJMC guys yesterday as I had ridden not her for 6 weeks (?). I pulled on the clutch lever to start the bike in neutral and no resistance at all, even with repeated applications to try and pump up some pressure. As Red was still parked outside my shed at the bottom of the DD from when I trailered it down because the DD was too slippery to ride on, I wanted to get it up to the carport at the house where I could lube the chain and check tire pressures easily. Took awhile to crank up due to dry carbies and vaccum fuel shut off tap. Once it was warmed up I did the old no clutch disengagement riding trick of pushing ( Freddy Flintstone style) and dropping it into gear. Rode it up the DD to the house and put it on the center stand for ease of working on. Clutch MC was empty so I filled it with fresh brake fluid and applied the lever plenty of times to work out as much air out as possible without removing plastics and bleeding at the slave cylinder. Clutch disengaged just before running out of travel and as I was now running late after lubing the chain, near enough was good enough :yes: Great to be riding again finally ( 3 weeks ago on the Rats Nest) and it is always good to have the unlimited power and brakes of the CBRs ( for my skill set at least :yes: ) I decided to use the clutch for every shift ( no power up shifting ) in the belief that hopefully all the air would work its way out. Actuation was slightly better after about a 100 shifts but still not back to a fully normal lever position. After much chin wagging, great cup of coffee and a free sausage on bread from the promotional sausage sizzle I jumped back on Red. :yahoo: I now had a normal clutch lever position for the ride home!! I guess sitting on the sidestand for a hour must of allowed the additional air in the system to bleed out :clapping: I am pretty sure that a clutch slave cylinder rebuild is in my future but not today :good:

When i have it apart, do both then one bleed takes care of it. :yes: Also have found that a mity vac or similar pump does a better job, quicker, & seems to have the advantage of no air in the line for a rebleed. :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159673#p159673:2w6wrv6z said:
slabghost » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:32 am[/url]":2w6wrv6z]
being empty after 6 week rest I'd say you have a leak somewhere.
More than likely, but I would say it was probably low before it's last rest as the sight windows are nice and frosty :doh:

Latest posts