I am sick of these frickin mirrors!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK So Im going out of my mind "taking it easy" as the doc ordered so I wandered out to the barn today and "fiddled" around with the bikes. :blush:
Alright,I went for a small ride to.The 400 is easy to mount,but the wing rides like air so it won over.It was already full of gas,and I road 3/4 tank out of her.But thats another story. :hihihi:

So while cleaning her up a bit,I decided to tighten that pisky loose mirror.Again. :sensored:
I not so much as put a nut driver on the 10mm screw and turn it that last fuzz,but it was a fuzz to far.Again. :sensored:

So far I have dropped the bike on 1,pulled the threads on 2,had one fall apart going down the road,and had the glass fall out on 1.

Has anyone found an answer?It cant just be me! :head bang:
I like the HONDA mirrors because of the curved glass,but the cheap aftermarkets seem to hold up better.Can the glass be changed from one to another?
Is there a way to make the OE mirrors hold together with out readjusting them every 5 miles? :builder:

I know others have complained so it's not just you.
I bought a pair from jc Whitney years ago and other than getting bumped while it's parked, the aim stays where I put them up to about 70 mph which is as fast as I go. Sometimes in a hard gust they'll move a tad.
I don't know what's different about mine, hate to try an find out case I screw my luck.

I have also felt yer pain with the mirrors. I wound up buying new ones from JCW, and changing the glass out. The glass is held in by the plastic surround...it has a groove on the inside for the glass, and a groove on the outside to fit into the edge of the mirror.
Changing the glass isn't hard, but you do need to be careful, as it will break if ya get too rough with it. I used a heat gun to heat the plastic up a little, so it would be more pliable. Carefully work your way around the outside edge of the plastic retainer with a small flat object, like a screwdriver, or wide (thin)blade scraper, and pull outward on the retainer. Make sure you do this with the mirror held over something soft, like a blanket, in case it pops out quickly.
I just cut the retainer on my original mirror to get the curved glass out, since I had good, new retainers on the new ones. If you break the glass on the new ones, it's not a big loss, since they are pretty much useless anyway, imho.
To install the old glass into the new mirrors, use a little soapy water to help slide the plastic retainer back into the mirror. You can use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun, but some kind of heat is very helpful. Might wanna wear some cotton gloves, too, both for the heat, and to protect your hands in case of glass breakage.

There was a whole thread on doing this somewhere here....it might have been BC(before crash)....someone else started the thread, and that's where I got this info, and it worked for me. The OP of that thread said he just busted the flat glass out of the new mirrors so he wouldn't have to fight with taking it out, and then he cut the plastic on his originals to get the curved glass out.
I will say that my original glass does fit a little loose in he JCW mirror bases, but they haven't fallen out yet. If I ever have to redo them, I'll use some sillycone on the backs of the glass to help hold them in snug. I could also just run a bead of sillycone around the edges of the glass, too, which I have been meaning to do now for a couple of years.... :blush:

Well....I have OEM standard mirrors from the original '82 on the handlebars. They don't move! Rarely adjust them and they are also the curved glass. I was thinkin a puttin some OEM's on my Vetter faring, but I might stick with what I gots! :mrgreen:

Great
Thats what I was wondering.Don't remember the thread though.
I don't mind the JCW mirrors,but like you said,the flat glass is worthless.

I've resorted to gooping mine internaly so they stay in place. They're such a pain but work so well. I've considered going with handlebar mirrors but prefer the look of stock. New OEM's are about $95 ea. if you can find them but then you are right back to floppy mirrors. I'm going to have to consider the JCW mirrors with the OEM glass switch but wonder if the JCW's vibrate more?

Attachments

• No Mirrors.jpg
    No Mirrors.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 187
Joe,

It's a Windjammer wraparound.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3821

I picked it up this spring thinking I would only use it for longer road trips but I haven't taken it off since. I can ride on the hiway with an open face and no glasses in comfort and the wife loves it. Hot in the summer but still, once you get used to the calm it's hard to go back. I'm 5-7" and ride in the 60-75 mph range. Some taller riders complain of turbulence but I havent noticed any.

Did you see that movie GUMBALL RALLY where the Italian race car driver upon sitting down breaks off the mirror thows it out and utters those immortal words WHATSA BEHINDA ME SHES A NOT IMPORTANT!!!

Words to live by...!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

89-300ce":2dpdh793 said:
I'm going to have to consider the JCW mirrors with the OEM glass switch but wonder if the JCW's vibrate more?

Mine don't....they're pretty steady. :good:

Latest posts