I Picked Up This Bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
earlier this year for $300 plus a leather jacket that did not fit me. The bike runs but will need new tires, brakes, etc and also maybe a carburetor cleaning. But even now it runs.

The bike is a 1981 Honda CM400E.

I would rather put time in this than doing my neutral switch on my GL1100. Maybe, I will have time for both this Fall/Winter.

Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• cm400eIMG_0834.jpg
    cm400eIMG_0834.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 323
looks to be a goldwing box on it... Those little bikes are awesome...Great on gasoline I'm thinking how cool it would look painted camoflauge...

littlebeaver":3m8g3a1v said:
looks to be a goldwing box on it... Those little bikes are awesome...Great on gasoline I'm thinking how cool it would look painted camoflauge...

kind of like this---This is a CM185 that I have that I had painted olive drab before making it John Deere
Simba

Attachments

• 2mac to external.jpg
    2mac to external.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 316
simbaboy":3jsansd0 said:
I Picked Up This Bike

:headscratch:
Looks heavy....bet yer tired, eh?

(sorry...it HAD to be done.... :hihihi: )

I would love to have a smaller bike to play with, but I have no room for anything else. I have an old Yamama 400 out in one of the buildings that belonged to the young-uns years ago, but doubt I would ever be able to get it running again.... :nea:

AApple":1l267m4a said:
simbaboy":1l267m4a said:
I Picked Up This Bike

(sorry...it HAD to be done.... :hihihi: )

I would love to have a smaller bike to play with, but I have no room for anything else. I have an old Yamama 400 out in one of the buildings that belonged to the young-uns years ago, but doubt I would ever be able to get it running again.... :nea:

I got no room either but got to have a project. Plus I will be using the CM400 as a bike I learn more about wrenching and modding.

I want to make my CM400 look like the one below but red in color! We will see.

Simba

Attachments

• Honda (02) (Large).JPG
    Honda (02) (Large).JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 296
I had one of those for my very first bike way back in 79. Bought it brand new off the floor. What a great bike! I put over 10k on it the first year I had it and it never gave me any troubles. Wish I still had it now! :good:

Nice little bike, but I don't think I could fit my fat arse on something that small again. I started out on an 85 Suzuki GS550L and at 180 pounds, I was the right size. Now a 100 pounds heavier I wouldn't even consider it.

I was 280 once, now I am 230, and I feel alot better now...I want 200 lb's, I did get diabetes though from being large and not eating proper..

brought the bike from storage today and charged up the battery. 2 hours later the bike was running---very loud (PO cut off the mufflers) and also runs rough. Also, I noticed that there was a very small amount of fuel drops coming from some place close to the carburetor. This freaked me out and after a little warm up I shut the bike off.

This bike is too small for me also. But I am fixing it up to learn more about fixing motorcycles.

Also, I went for a legal speed ride on my GL1100. Lots of fun

Simba

AApple":auilxyt5 said:
simbaboy":auilxyt5 said:
I Picked Up This Bike

ARRRGGGG I was gonna say that !!! Gotta get up early in the afternoon to beat Me! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

1060dsl":17zlqkrg said:
AApple":17zlqkrg said:
simbaboy":17zlqkrg said:
I Picked Up This Bike

ARRRGGGG I was gonna say that !!! Gotta get up early in the afternoon to beat Me! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Yeah Real funny! Yes I got tired of holding it up and dropped it off at a mechanic.

The front brake had no power and the throttle was not snapping back off as it should--the 'cruise control' effect was scaring me during test rides.

I bought the bike to learn wrenching and carburetor maintenance. But better be safe. I know I would have taken it to a mechanic eventually after destroying a running bike!

Simba

i bought miss daisy ,non running,just on looks ,and faith that i might be able to get her going. and thanks to all the help on this sight . she's up and running. still have a few more things to do before a long trip . but these wing nuts are great.

CM400 E rebuild cont:

The bike is back from the mechanic. New tires, carburetor cleaned and adjusted, brakes working properly, exhaust has the right grumble, new filters, plugs, etc. Cheapest Cheng Chin tire was $90 installed.

Bought the bike for $300 and and paid mechanic $350. Yeah, I could have done a lot of the work myself, but I have little motivation currently for learning. I know but I am being honest.

So the bike is running much better but it looks the same. What do I tackle first? I looked at it for several minutes and before getting overwhelmed I had to remind myself this is a project and will require time.

I took off the smallest part off the bike--the keyed cover over the gas tank cap and began washing and sanding it. I am thinking this bike will look vintage with white paint, red pin stripes and red Honda stickers.

So my journey begins.

Thanks
Simba