Installed a fuel pump inlet solenoid today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I've forgotten more than once to turn the petcock off. One time a cylinder filled with gas and hydrolocked.

So before I forget again and bend a piston rod I installed an electric solenoid valve which lets gas flow only when the key is on.

The valve I got from here

image.php

Took the top off the fuel pump:

(Had to get a video what the diaphragm looks like when cranking for the heck of it)

Preassembly with 1/8 inch by 1 1/2" long brass pipe: (Wow, brass fittings are expensive!)

image.php

Had to tap the female end of the pump to accept the 1/8" pipe.
Already had a pipe tap but no 21/64 bit, good excuse to buy a new set right?

image.php

Removed these before drill and tap:

image.php

Tap it then blow out all the shavings good:

image.php

Assemble:

image.php

Screw the whole thing back on the pump body, hook up the hoses etc.

image.php

I got the power for this from under the seat, tapped into the running lights circuit.

Out of 3 pumps I have only one has threaded in hose barbs. This one says Made in Japan, the other 2 do not. My guess is the Japan one is original.

image.php

With the tank full when I turned the key on gas came out the hose without it running so yeah, the gas will gravity feed.
It's nice to see flow instantly stop when turning the key off.

That's the same solenoid we used to use for a "line lock" on our racecars! We used it to lock the front brakes on the car for burnouts, and at the starting line. :mrgreen:
It's a great idea...I've fergotten to turn mine off a couple of times... :Doh2: I wonder, on your install, if the normal engine vibrations might cause it to(eventually) crack the upper housing on the fuel pump, since you've added the weight of the solenoid(and fittings) to the housing. Not that it would, but that it might be possible, since the solenoid is solidly attached to the pump...
just thinkin out loud here... :blush:

My xs1100 had vacuum controlled petcock, so I'm always forgetting to shut off the gas on the wing, but so far that hasn't been a problem. I think I'll hose bib one of those into the line just as a precaution. Thanks for the idea.

fastmover83":1krazij3 said:
I think I'll hose bib one of those into the line just as a precaution.

I wanted to keep it simple with hose between but room is tight there, that's why I tapped the pump head for a nipple.

If anyone finds a smaller valve or another way to do this I'm all ears.

I never turn my fuel switch off, I guess mine doesnt leak fuel cause im sure i would of found out by now if it did, Specially when i let it sit for 2 months while i saved my money for the tires, bearing and install

Need to make sure the solenoid you get is normally closed,as in flow is blocked with no power, since they come both ways. The ones we used to use were normally open...powering them up would block the flow.
This is definitely a good failsafe system. :good:

Some days I'll make a dozen or more stops which means for each stop it gets turned off then when going again turn on.
That means futzing with that valve 24 times. To heck with that!

I just back from running some errands and man it sure is nice not having to turn the petcock off and on every time!

Sure it's one more element that could fail but I like easy.

I'm just wondering...
why go through the trouble of drilling and taping the fuel pump. Couldn't this solenoid be installed in-line with the fuel filter? Out of the way, quicker and a whole lot easier.

BlueThunder":fae2756p said:
I'm just wondering...
why go through the trouble of drilling and taping the fuel pump. Couldn't this solenoid be installed in-line with the fuel filter? Out of the way, quicker and a whole lot easier.

Good question.

From what I remember I did a solid nipple because another barbed fitting would push the solenoid more to the left making getting to the clamps and the filter difficult.
As it is I ended up relocating the filter anyway.

Good idea Dan,.. I found something similar but it's an in-line check valve. Since I'm running the single barrel carb conversion, I put the check-valve about 4"-6" from the carb. This does the same thing as yours, when the bike shuts down, a pressure valve closes causing no gas to go to the carb because no pressure is in the line or back to the tank. It seems to help start the bike eaiser too!! Later, :hi: Bob Bought it on Flea Bay!! :cool!:

Attachments

• 228528307_tp.jpg
    228528307_tp.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 154
There's several sellers, just type in " fuel check valve ",... they come in several line sizes and cost about $14-$16. They also come apart and can be cleaned. Later, Bob

I don't see how a check valve can prevent gas flow from the tank to the carbs since thats the normal direction of flow when running.
Unless I'm missing something a check valve would prevent flow in the opposite direction, from carbs to tank.

I think these are spring loaded, one-way valves. With the engine running, the fuel pump will unseat the valve, and suck fuel thru it. Once the engine is off, the spring will keep the valve closed.
That's my story, and I'm stickin wid it... :mrgreen:

If that's the case then pressure from the tank like on a hot day could push past it and it seems like there are too many variables.

I'll stay with a solenoid valve, it's a positive on or off.

Dan, I understand what your saying but it takes pressure to open the check valve and in my case I believe (not forsure) but was exxplained to me it takes about 1-2lbs to open and closes when pressure is off, no pressure. Same as yours but without the 12volts. As far as on a hot day how much pressure builds up in a tank,...... :blush: who really knows!! I was told there should be know leakage, but I try to remember to shut the gas off out of habit. I will say since I've installed the check valve it's sure alot easier to start unless I turned off the Kill-Button like this mourning :whistling: :whistling: !!! I was also thinking yours would be a good set up to incorperate with for an electric pump!! later,... :hi: :hi: :hi: Bob

it sounds simple and strait forward to me .....why make something electric if it dosnt have to be .....and people wonder why cars cost 30thousand dollars when they replace a solid rod with a computer :mrgreen:

Latest posts