Installed a fuel pump inlet solenoid today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, in all fairness I corresponded with the person sells these with this Question,....." Dear jbass195,
I was wondering on a hot day would there be any gas go past the valve if the engine is shut off and also how much pressure opens the valve? Thanks, Bob"..... and this was his reply,......... " Takes very little to open the valve, you can blow through it with your breath. It will hold back up to about 35PSI but I am sure there would be a tad of seepage over time as these are not an expensive highly trust worthy valve."....... So with that said, I guess it all depends what you pay for is what you get :smilie_happy: !!! So obviously Dans' set up is much better but for $14-$16 it was and hopefully will serve me well
!!! Hopes this answers some questions :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: !!!! Later Bob

badorderbob":alm4yk16 said:
Dan, I understand what your saying but it takes pressure to open the check valve and in my case I believe (not forsure) but was exxplained to me it takes about 1-2lbs to open and closes when pressure is off, no pressure. Same as yours but without the 12volts.

I'm all for simple but looking at this check valve in a mechanical sense, if it takes 1-2 lbs to open it then with the pump running at 2 lbs. the check valve could restrict flow or maybe not, I would do a simple flow test.
A check valve is NOT the same as a solenoid valve.
A check valve prevents flow in one direction and allows flow in the other.
A solenoid valve (normally closed type) will allow flow in either direction but only when power is applied.

Hi Dan, you are correct in all accounts of describing what you have and the difference in mine, I stand corected,...thanks!! The main piurpose I installed mine ( check valve) was the lenght of time it took to start mine after a couple days of sitting. It does flow in one direction towards the carb and not backwards, by installing mine I was able to get quicker starts compared to not having any check valve. I still today have a habit of turning off the gas because of fear of a bad float valve. Later and have a nice day, :hi: Bob

BigAndrew":2wfq929w said:
I never turn my fuel switch off, I guess mine doesnt leak fuel cause im sure i would of found out by now if it did, Specially when i let it sit for 2 months while i saved my money for the tires, bearing and install

Same here.Never closed the fuel petcock in 9 years on this bike.And in few counted oportunities when run out of fuel and hit the reserve.

Latest posts