interesting belt swap video

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna boy

Reaction score
Was watching a u tube video on doing a timing belt swap on a Honda V6 car engine on a Honda pilot. The similarities between the car engine and my 1100 are amazing. The revelation I had was when the mechanic ignored all the usual mark the sprockets and the coresponding engine case. He marked the edge of the belt and the tooth on every sprocket that had teeth. He then pulled the belt and laid it on top of of new built to verify he had the correct length and transferred the marks from the old belt to the new belt. He installed the new belt so the marks on the new belt lined up with the marks on the sprockets. He then rotated the engine 3-4 times with a ratchet to verify that the timing was OK. Very similar to the goldwing. I think the way he marked the belt would work for Wing owners and be easier that the way we currently do the belt swap. It is amazing to see how this car engine is so similar to our bike engines.

there are people who do this way on oldwings too i seen it done .. and seems ok to me ... if you put the motor right spot when you start this and mark it there it can be easier ...

I think this would be a lot easier on a single timing belt system, but I am not so sure with 2 belts that would be much easier. The other problem is if the old belt has slipped a tooth or was not correctly installed initially.. :(

Not real good with my computer but it is pretty easy to find. It was a v6 engine in a Honda pilot. I think it was called a J6 motor. I think this engine is used in several different Honda cars/trucks. You will see an engine that uses the same design criteria as our scooters.

Dees won?

[video]https://youtu.be/tIGYg051tBw[/video]

You have to be SURE the old belt hasn't slipped a tooth, and that it is installed right to begin with, as Tony mentions. I know a lot of guys that do them this way on cars.....I'm not one of those guys. :eek:k:

Three things come to mind after watching this video. 1) These cars were meant to be repaired by people with small hands, 2) I am glad I don't own a Honda Car and 3)the GL1000 must be a THOUSAND times easier to replace the timing belts. Man that dude earned his pay that day. I am convinced that a chain is the Right way to go on big motors, my ML270 has a chain, my C180 had a chain, my old BMW 730 had a chain (at the front) not like the later Beemers the chain is at the back of the engine, a retrograde step I think. Great Video though even so. Kudos to the mechanic... :music: :music:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130865#p130865:3jsqycly said:
AApple » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:22 am[/url]":3jsqycly]
Dees won?

[video]https://youtu.be/tIGYg051tBw[/video]

You have to be SURE the old belt hasn't slipped a tooth, and that it is installed right to begin with, as Tony mentions. I know a lot of guys that do them this way on cars.....I'm not one of those guys. :eek:k:
As soon as engines started going in sideways the job got a hole bunch harder.

Is that Aapple in the video?

on a oldwing a knowing of both methods is helpful bigtime on putting belts on ... but i must admit....the right belt is easy to put on with marks ....if the motor is turned 180 degrees the left goes on easy too but the mark is on the inside toward motor if i remember right ...than can be turned to check at mark....thats the easiest ive ever done it .... i think i posted that right with me memory always has to checked out

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130898#p130898:1swj0krg said:
joedrum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:44 am[/url]":1swj0krg]
on a oldwing a knowing of both methods is helpful bigtime on putting belts on ... but i must admit....the right belt is easy to put on with marks ....if the motor is turned 180 degrees the left goes on easy too but the mark is on the inside toward motor if i remember right ...than can be turned to check at mark....thats the easiest ive ever done it .... i think i posted that right with me memory always has to checked out

That's how they used to time the ea82 Subaru motors. You did the first belt on tdc then rotated 180 degrees and did the second one. Unfortunately there were a few mechanics that just lined all the marks and couldn't understand why they now had a 2 cyl Subaru..