Is it me???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macka

Reaction score
Or did Honda make the airbox on the 1100 really restricted? First they hide it deep in between the frame and then they cover it with a faux tank, and to add insult to injury, they put a top on it that has 2 little iddy biddy intake holes. What is a boy to do? I am stuck modding it. Such is life.

I agree they could have designed it better for more airflow but I suspect they did it this way to muffle the noise.
I've read of a guy who used flexible tube to the front of the radiator to create a ram air effect, never seen photo's though.

I was thinking off cutting the airbox down a tad, cutting holes in the side and making side intakes. This is until I get the geo metro fuel injection up and running.

It may seem really restricted but the motors have no trouble running wide open throttle. These are CV carbs so a little vacuum in the airbox actually improves performance.

slabghost":809bpaav said:
It may seem really restricted but the motors have no trouble running wide open throttle. These are CV carbs so a little vacuum in the airbox actually improves performance.

Can't see how a vacuum before the carb would help. If its like the CV car carbs, opening up the amount of air it gets makes it more fuel efficient, as all the vacuum happens inside the carb above the diaphragms.

One of the POs drilled some holes in the lid of my airbox, and judging by the age of the duct tape covering said holes, the same PO or one shortly after covered them. I don't like the noise with the lid off.

~O~

i do the air box on mine is totaly exposed ....idont notice the noise that much but im sure it actualy lowers the air resistant making the carbs pull more air quicker not nessarly increaseing flow just the time it takes to get there ...making the carbs faster reacting.... :headscratch: maybe :hihihi:

macka":by14zf39 said:
slabghost":by14zf39 said:

Can't see how a vacuum before the carb would help. If its like the CV car carbs, opening up the amount of air it gets makes it more fuel efficient, as all the vacuum happens inside the carb above the diaphragms.
Vacuum needed to lift the slides is sourced from the inlet side of these carbs making them more responsive with a little vacuum in the air box. The filter will provide some so it may not make much difference either way. More air flow makes sense until you realize. That big air box only needs to feed one carb at a time. :whistling:

I modified the lid on mine;opened up the two "humps" on the bottom side of the lid,so the air goes right into the box and not through the tiny tunnels first.Sounds a little better and still responsive on the throttle.Dont get carried away though cause these vacuum oprerated carbs dont like TOO much air.If youve ever put single pod air filters on a bike with this type of carbs and tried to get it to run right you know what I mean......... :Awe:

hmmmmm might have to rethink this some on my part maybe ....but so far i have not had any bad effects from it ....seems my 83 1100 with early cams from a 1000 and the 1100 carbs are working great ...it seems to be the fastest oldwing ive been on ....might just change the box on mine and try it i havnt done full box thing on the 83 since its been running :mrgreen:

Smokey66":2pfblsdf said:
I modified the lid on mine;opened up the two "humps" on the bottom side of the lid,so the air goes right into the box and not through the tiny tunnels first.Sounds a little better and still responsive on the throttle.Dont get carried away though cause these vacuum oprerated carbs dont like TOO much air.If youve ever put single pod air filters on a bike with this type of carbs and tried to get it to run right you know what I mean......... :Awe:

But it comes with a single pod air filter, just not high flow.

Re engineer at your own risk. Proper flow involves not just available air but jet size, valve timing. runner size,exhaust flow, back pressure in both intake and exhaust manifolds and air pressure. Changing one thing can and often does effect all others. Increasing jet size will require more flow through the entire system to get the proper mix. If you really enjoy experimenting and futzing with carb adjustments , go for it.

slabghost":2jc7crdp said:
Re engineer at your own risk. Proper flow involves not just available air but jet size, valve timing. runner size,exhaust flow, back pressure in both intake and exhaust manifolds and air pressure. Changing one thing can and often does effect all others. Increasing jet size will require more flow through the entire system to get the proper mix. If you really enjoy experimenting and futzing with carb adjustments , go for it.

I'm sick that way :help:

I'm not talking about cutting the airbox off, but gutting it and using small external cone filters.

I was thinking it might idle like crap, but should be OK on the open road. I don't do enough city driving to worry about idle issues.

me i cant leave anything alone mother honda isnt god ...i think they made a great bike but it aint perfect ...it would have easy to make better carbs ...better wiring.... air flow is just that the motor cant take more than it can draw in...not a big enough difference to consider radical at all ...at least not in my book