Just a thought about safety.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldWrench - you are 100 percent correct. Everyone rides for their own reasons and has their own perceptions of how they and others ride. Tried getting my son-in-law to take an advanced course, but he won't - he told me he was afraid he would drop his bike, a 2014 Motto Guzzi California Touring.

I take courses because I know I need to keep my skills honed, as has been mentioned, we are the invisible breed, low man on the totem pole so to speak. I also like the people I meet, always an interesting group.

I find a course in the spring of the year is a better way to spend my money and investment of time and money than having insurance. Unfortunately insurance is a requirement and have to have it.

I've caught my feet under the rear guards on my 1800 and it hurts like hell. Reminded me not to leave my feet down when I start off. Only have to do this once or twice and you won't do it again. I was also fortunate that I did not damage anything. There was an incident just north of Victoria in Nanaimo on the Nanaimo Parkway. A fellow was on his bike and he dragged his feet when starting across the intersection, caught them on the rear of the bike, went down and broke a few body parts. See this all too often and cringe when I do.

Have been known to put my feet down trying to catch myself while I was on course. All I heard from the instructor was "you are going to hurt yourself". He then proceeded to refresh my memory on what I should have done. I have wrestled with the 1800, won the battle but lost the war - sore for the next 5 weeks after the wrestle.

So to me it's not about just surviving the onslaught of metal that we are up against every time we ride, but our personal safety as well. Sort of like work place safety and how we work at home - I know I'm a little more lax at home until I catch myself and rectify how I'm working.

I fault no one for their views on training, but I like it and like how I feel when I get through the course. My better half also likes the skill level I bring to her safety on the bike.

Just a few more thoughts.

Cheers