Just thinking out loud.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
Attempted to install a power outlet in the fairing today. Discovered some pins in the fairings connector not working as expected. Checked fuses under the cover = all good. Started cutting and peeling back the harness leading to the fairing and discovered one place where most of the wires in the harness had been smashed or melted at one time. Even at that point, some wires were still dead, so that's not the end of the problem. It appears to be opens, not shorts. I also have a fork seal starting to leak on one side, and I think the steering stem bearings could use some adjusting. So, I guess I'm looking at a complete front end overhaul. New seals, bushings, oil, and I figure I might as well go back together with new springs, huh? And since I'll have the fairing off, it would be a good oportunity to get the electrical straightened out while I'm there. Think I'll order one of those new connectors from the Vetter website, too. Hey, why not? (I mean, since I plan to keep this thing and ride it) Of course, since I have no garage, I'll need some dry weekends.

scdmarx":yv7zuqfv said:
dan filipi":yv7zuqfv said:
Hmm, gonna get all this done before the 20th?

That's my reason for waiting. ;)
GOOD!

Ya, might as well take care of everything while your in that far.

I have to do fork seals and have a whole list of other "stuff" I'm gonna do while it's apart. The big problem is when. The weather is usually so nice year round I hate to disable it for any length of time.

Depending on who wired your Vetter harness, some of the wires may not have been connected at the main Honda harness. There are extra wires in the Vetter harness for accessories that are not always wired in. Follow the harness back to the bikes original head light location at the triple tree and see which wires are actually hooked up. I found 4 loose wires in mine and connected all of them when I rebuilt the bike. Now, everything is working.

It may not be a bad idea to get a new harness plug from Vetter, they do dry out and crack.

I suspect it's in the headlight area, but I haven't been in there so I can't say. But you make sense.
My plug "looks" ok, except for maybe a little green stuff that can be cleaned easy enough. But if I'm gonna do this I'd feel much better going with a new one, since they are available.

Thanks for your response. I do feel more confident now. :good:

Latest posts