Keeping the Wing vs. getting something else?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
Well, this may be just a rant, or me talking out loud, looking for a sounding board. I have an 82 GL1100I, I like the bike for the most part and have done a lot to it over the last year. New battery, fork seals, rebuilt heads, timing belts, brakes front and rear, throttle cables, speedo cable, and new tires.(maybe more)
It has this knock/tick/rattle that comes and goes at different RPMs. It bugs me, but has been there for the last 8,000 miles or more. It has had it from the day I got it. I sync'ed the carbs, adjusted the valves etc and not luck. I have kind of learned to ignore it.
I need a bike to commute to work, 1 hour each way, about 100 miles round trip. I need a bike that has large bags, I carry my lap top, lunch and riding gear for all weather. I also love the full front fairing. I have found it hard to find another bike that has these features without spending the big money on a new 1800 Wing. I know that there are Venture Royales, Cavalcades and Voyagers. All of these seem to have smaller bags, but are cheaper on the used market. I know I can sell my wing for more than a replacement, but not sure if this is the way to go. I am looking for a new engine, or parts bike, but nothing yet that is what I want. I may have a lead on another 82, but can not seem to get in touch with the guy.
I would love a BMW K1200LT, but I don't want to spend the $6000+ on one right now.
So, sell it and buy something else? Keep it and buy an engine? Buy another Wing and sell this one?
What should I do?

I see some early 1500 wings in the $4000 price range. early 1800's have a smaller trunk and some complain of not having enough room in the cockpit but I like the brakes and extra hp that 1800 wings have

well i have a buddy who is going all cavelcade now he had many wings ... wings are just the best motors if one wants to update them or bring them up to par as in old parts ... you have a carb problem for sure and also some kind of motor problem .....its simply a dam crime not to make parts for these motors ... brearing and stuff is just to easy to produce for the excuses big corporations use not to ..in my opinion ... just plain dirty way to be in my book .... if parts were availible your bike would be totally fixed in couple days with right people working on it ... the same goes for all old bikes ... im sure the bankers would bankrupt a company that would actually try to cater to there products ... now im ranting just from reading this post ..of trashing bike that are easy to fix cause of hidden manipulated kill off programs

I am afraid that this may even be the easiest of the bikes to get parts for. The others could be worse.

Just keep riding it until it kicks out some parts! while you keep riding it, keep your eyes open for parts bikes, i got my last one(83) for 199 dollars with a good engine! the rest is just candy spare parts. These are getting sooo cheap, you cannot go wrong! Most have a good engine, they just don't want to keep throwing money in the carbs every year so they set and end up selling for 200 or so. I run my bike almost 1000 miles a week so i'm going to keep beating it until the old wings dry up! Good Luck and ride safe :yes:

I hear ya oldmopars with the noises.

My experiences with these flat 4's are less than stellar.
The original I bought this bike with ran very quiet mechanically but had damaged aluminum around the cylinder sleeve making the block trash.
The next engine is what started the 'knocking' thread.
After that engine I got one that had a bad oil control ring. That one was quieter but the 'knock' could be heard.
I'm now onto a 1200 engine which too has the knock Lol, and making noises.

Yeah, pretty much I have to ignore the noise. I'm done trying to get a good used engine.

The thing to consider is the 1100 wings are not worth a lot and yes I have an 1100. I see some really decent interstates and Aspencades pop up really cheap.

I was able to get rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets for my '83 1100, but it took time and patience. I was in no hurry, so it wasn't a problem. This forum, Ebay, and Google were priceless in the build. It was so worth the wait! Dan rode it, and seemed OK with it.

There is an easy way to isolate noises. Any auto supply will have an inexpensive automotive stethoscope. One thing is many of these engines have set for years and that takes a toll on them. I know I had several issues with mine when I first got it, but seems to be doing fine now.

At this point the noises are annoying, but not that bad, it's the way it handles that really is frustrating. It just feels like riding a wet noodle. High speed is better than low. I just need to replace it or keep it going till I can get something better.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120060#p120060:g5lrjlbz said:
Steve83 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:07 pm[/url]":g5lrjlbz]
I was able to get rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets for my '83 1100, but it took time and patience. I was in no hurry, so it wasn't a problem. This forum, Ebay, and Google were priceless in the build. It was so worth the wait! Dan rode it, and seemed OK with it.

dan told me it was flat out awesome running steve ...great work it was and patience.to get the parts :clapping:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120301#p120301:2cm8jhy4 said:
oldmopars » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:54 pm[/url]":2cm8jhy4]
At this point the noises are annoying, but not that bad, it's the way it handles that really is frustrating. It just feels like riding a wet noodle. High speed is better than low. I just need to replace it or keep it going till I can get something better.
I certainly can relate, I used to ride either sport bikes or standards and my first impression on my first ride was not impressed, cumbersome and without a feel of the road, definitely not what I was used too but I just started driving it like a smaller bike and it responds just fine, has its limits like turning radius and heavier steering..I find most all bikes have their inherent problems..Things the engineers just couldn't or wouldn't fix due to budget or design constraints.
Taking all that into account the GL1100 isn't all too bad, the cylinder heads are certainly in the right place..Wish they could have put the ignition,clutch and stator in a more accessible location, maybe some kind of modular frame if they couldn't.
Always nice to try other bikes though.

the good news is your "driving" an 82, 100 mi. a day.... it's been an along time,, maybe ten years since I was driving a pickup from the eighties.

When I got my 11 I was planning on using it fir troops and ride my v-45 to work and tool around town.. never got back on the 45 until I used it for part down payment on a cage( had grandkids to care for)... Got hooked real hard and still loving it...

Well this bike is not new to me, the bad handling is. I need to keep hunting it down. I do enjoy riding it. I went to the dealer and tested out a new CTX1300. I just did not like it. Bad seating position, too low rev limiter, no windscreen, etc.
I just need to get it riding better.

Wet noodle? Mine gets noodly when the front tire gets low on pressure. Have you checked the center stand frame member? They rust and can give a whippy feeling. Also make sure all your motor mounts are tight. They help hold the frame together and give it rigidity.

What should the front tire pressure be? The bike frame says around 30 I think. I have the rear at 42.